Site Plan Control
Site Plan Review
Site Plan Review refers to the process by which municipalities approve development in accordance with the physical planning, built form and operational objectives identified within their Official Plan. Under Section 41 of the Ontario Planning Act, development within municipalities is subject to Site Plan Control. This is to ensure that development will:
- Be compatible with adjacent or nearby properties;
- Have safe and easy access for pedestrians and vehicles;
- Have adequate landscaping, parking and servicing;
- Meet specific standards of quality and appearance; and,
- Be built and maintained in the manner by which the proposal was approved.
The entire area within the City of Windsor is designated as a Site Plan Control Area by By-law 1-2004.
The Site Plan Review process takes into account input from various departments and agencies towards the preparation of a Site Plan Approval Agreement. The Site Plan Approval Agreement is a binding contract between the Corporation of the City of Windsor and the Applicant/Owner. The Agreement consists of conditions of development, is required to be registered on title of the property and is a prerequisite to the building permit application process.
Site Plan Review Process
Applicants are encouraged to engage the Site Plan Review team as early as possible in the design process. The pre-consultation process will advise on the appropriate development application(s), identify any concerns or issues through a cursory review of the proposal and provide recommendation towards fulfilling specific requirements and objectives, as may be required.
Upon receipt of a complete application, inclusive of all required drawings and appropriate fee, the following processes will be executed:
- A Letter of Acknowledgment, identifying acceptance of the application and receipt for payment rendered will be forwarded.
- The application and accompanying documentation will be circulated to various departments and agencies, internal and external as required by the specifics of the proposal, for review and commentary.
- Review comments and requests will be used by the Site Plan Review team towards the preparation of a Draft Site Plan Review Report.
- The Draft Site Plan Review Report is typically organized into four sections, consisting of the following: (1) Draft Recommendation, (2) Drawing Revisions, as applicable, (3) Conditions of the Site Plan Approval Agreement and (4) Circulation Comments.
- The Site Plan Review team will issue a Draft Site Plan Review Report within 30 days from the date of receipt of a completed application. If drawing revisions have been requested, it will be the responsibility of the applicant to address the revision request and forward revised drawings prior to the Site Plan Review team preparing the Site Plan Review Report.
3. Site Plan Review Report
The Site Plan Review Report will be prepared by the Site Plan Review team, upon receipt of revised drawings where applicable, and issued to the applicant and applicable departments. Direction will be provided to the Corporation’s Legal Department to commence preparation of the Site Pan Approval Agreement.
4. Site Plan Approval Agreement
The Site Plan Approval Agreement will be prepared and issued by the Corporation’s Legal Department; the Owner will be provided a copy of the Agreement for their review and signature. Upon receipt of the signed Agreement, the Corporation’s Legal Department will register it on title of the subject lands.
5. Fulfillment of the Agreement
The Owner shall commence fulfillment of the conditions and provisions of the Agreement. Pre-permit conditions of the Site Plan Approval Agreement can in large be executed throughout the Site Plan Review process in a proactive manner, should the Owner wish to expedite the receipt of a Building Permit.
Site Plan Approval Applications
For development and Site Plan Review related inquiries, contact us at the following:
Planning & Building Services Department
Suite 210, 350 City Hall Square West
Windsor, Ontario, Canada, N9A 6S1
Phone: (519) 255-6543
Fax: (519) 255-6544