Site Plan Control
Site Plan Review
Site Plan Control refers to the process by which the City reviews and approves development in accordance with the physical planning, built form and operational objectives identified within the Official Plan. The entire area within the city of Windsor is designated as a Site Plan Control Area by By-law 1-2004. Under Section 41 of the Ontario Planning Act, all development in Windsor is subject to Site Plan Control. This is to ensure that development will:
- Be compatible with adjacent or nearby properties;
- Have safe and easy access for pedestrians and vehicles;
- Have adequate landscaping, parking and servicing;
- Meet specific standards of quality and appearance; and,
- Be built and maintained in the manner by which the proposal was approved.
The Site Plan Review process takes into account input from various departments and agencies towards the preparation of a Site Plan Approval Agreement. The Site Plan Approval Agreement is a binding contract between the Corporation of the City of Windsor and the applicant/owner. The agreement consists of conditions of development, is registered on title of the property and is a prerequisite to the building permit application process.
Exemptions from Site Plan Control
Council, by By-law 1-2004, has exempted certain classes of development from the requirement for Site Plan Approval, including the following:
- Single detached, semi-detached, duplex and double-duplex dwellings;
- Small commercial and combined commercial-residential buildings and additions;
- Small industrial and institutional buildings and additions;
- Alterations within an existing building;
- Temporary buildings and structures;
- Building features and mechanical elements;
- Parking areas containing less than 5 spaces; and
Please contact Planning Services to determine if your development is subject to Site Plan Control.
Council has delegated the approval authority for Site Plan Control to City staff for most Site Plan Control applications. City Council remains the approval authority for all developments in the locations below:
- Any development on City-owned lands;
- Any development within the Downtown Business Improvement Area;
- Any development on the north side of Riverside Drive;
- Any development on lands identified in a resolution of Council requiring site plan approval by Council; and
- Any development on a property that is appealed to the Ontario Land Tribunal (OLT).
Site Plan Approval Applications
Applications for Site Plan Approval will be accepted online though our digital platform provided by Cloudpermit. Please click on the button below to submit a Site Plan Control application:
For development and Site Plan Review related inquiries, contact us at the following:
Planning & Building Services Department
Suite 210, 350 City Hall Square West
Windsor, Ontario, Canada, N9A 6S1
Phone: (519) 255-6543
Fax: (519) 255-6544