Basement Flooding Subsidy

Step 1 - What is the Basement Flooding Protection Subsidy Program?

The City of Windsor makes improvements annually to our complex system of underground pipes, sewers and catch basins. However, these improvements alone cannot completely protect a home from basement flooding. With increasingly frequent and severe weather events related to climate change, it is also essential that residents take the appropriate action to reduce the risk of basement flooding on their own private property.

The City is offering owners of residential dwellings (single-family and duplex homes) a financial subsidy to install a sump pump with sump pump overflow and/or backwater valve(s), and/or disconnect foundation drains from the floor drain.

Visit our Flooding page for more information on how to reduce basement flooding.

Step 2 - Subsidy Requirements

  • All eligible basement flooding protection work must be performed by a contractor/licensed plumber or master plumber. The plumber or master plumber should be able to present a current City of Windsor Licence. If you have any concerns about whether or not the plumber is licensed, please contact 311. Please note that the City's Licensing Department cannot recommend specific plumbing contractors or provide a list of licensed plumbing contractors.
  • If a backwater valve is installed by a contractor, a licensed plumber must certify its installation.
  • If a sump pump is installed, please ensure the disconnection and capping of leads from the foundation drains to the floor drains.
  • Any work performed by the homeowner themselves does not qualify for subsidy.
  • Disputes with respect to qualifying work will be resolved by the City Engineer and/or the Chief Building Official or their designate.
  • The contractor must use material or fittings that are approved by the Ontario Building Code.
  • A building plumbing permit and an approved final inspection must be obtained for backwater valve and sump pump installations.
  • The contractor must obtain the permit within one year of receiving City of Windsor inspector approval to proceed with eligible work under the program.The contractor must use material or fittings that are approved by the Ontario Building Code.

Step 3 - How to Apply

  • Apply for the Subsidy by creating and submitting a new online application; or
  • Sign in to ''View Details'' or ''Resume'' your existing application to modify or upload attachments. Email instructions will be provided by City staff.

Basement Flooding Protection Subsidy Program at a Glance:

Subsidies for eligible work are subject to available funding and provided on a first come, first served basis. The maximum eligible subsidy limit is $2,800 per property:

  • Install backwater valve(s) (licensed plumber required) - Up to 100 percent of cost, ($1,000 maximum)
  • Install sump pump with sump pump overflow and disconnect floor drains - Up to 100 percent of cost, ($1,750 maximum)
  • Install only sump pump overflow to discharge outside to surface (applies to existing sump pumps only) - Up to 100 percent of cost, ($300 maximum)
  • Install backwater valve and sump pump with sump pump overflow - Up to 100 percent of cost, ($2,800 maximum)
  • Disconnect foundation drains from floor drain and/or dye testing and camera work as required - Up to 100 percent of cost, ($400 maximum)

What this program does not cover:

  • The replacement of an existing sump pump
  • The upgrade of a sump pump
  • The addition of another sump pump
  • A back-up sump pump
  • Work performed for which a permit cannot be obtained
  • Supply and installation of electro-pneumatic backwater valve
  • The replacement of a back-up valve (except cast-iron would qualify)

Step 4 - Contact us

Office of the City Engineer
Engineering Department
Development and Right-of-Way Division
350 City Hall Square West, Suite 210
Windsor, Ontario
N9A 6S1

Hours of Operation

  • 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday (except holidays)


  • For general information, call 311.
  • For detailed inquiries, call (519) 255-6257 (Engineering Department - Right-of-Way Division)