Property Standards Complaints FAQ

Property Standards Complaints - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

How do I register a complaint?

What information is required to register a tenant complaint?

  • Before contacting the City about a possible breach of the Property Standards By-law, notify your landlord about possible deficiencies within your rental unit; allow a reasonable period of time to resolve the issue before filing a complaint.
  • To file a complaint, you must provide the address and unit number of the property where the violation exists.
  • Provide your name, email address and the telephone number at which you can be reached.
  • Provide the name and contact information for your landlord or property manager.

What happens when a complaint is made?

  • Once a complaint is received and classified, it is assigned for investigation by an inspector/property standards officer.
  • Complaint investigations are normally performed within 30 days, with the exception of those involving serious health and safety issues, which are prioritized by building administration.
  • Infractions may be resolved through a combination of education, persuasion, orders and enforcement through the provincial courts.
  • If an Order is issued, administrative enforcement fees per the City's User Fee By-law will be applied.
  • The timelines for enforcement are at the discretion of the Building Department and provincial courts.

Can an order issued under the Property Standards By-law be appealed?

  • The recipient may appeal an Order to Repair issued by a property standards officer to the Property Standards Committee by filing their Notice of Appeal Form via registered mail or in person with the Secretary of the Committee, 350 City Hall Square West, Suite 530, Windsor, Ontario.
  • The Notice of Appeal Form is attached to the Order to Repair and will include a deadline date for appeal.
  • The fee to hear the appeal is $425.00 and is non-refundable. Payment is required at time of appeal.
  • The Property Standards Committee has the authority to cancel, amend or extend the Order but cannot waive administrative fees on a confirmed Order.

What happens when an order is not in compliance?

  • Once an Order is final and binding and where there are insufficient efforts to correct the deficiencies before the deadline, the City may take legal action against a property owner. Charges may be laid under the Building Code Act.
  • Upon conviction under the Building Code Act, fines are as follows:
    • Individual: maximum of $50,000 for the first offence and a maximum of $100,000 for each subsequent offence
    • Corporation: maximum of $500,000 for the first offence and a maximum of $1,500,000 on subsequent offences

How do I fix yard flooding?

Yard flooding affects residents in many municipalities, including the city of Windsor. Yard flooding generally occurs during snow melts and/or heavy rainfall events. It is important to direct the water away from your home but not cause problems for your neighbours.

How can I reduce yard flooding on my property?

Yard flooding on your own (private) property can occur for a number of different reasons:

  • Poor lot grading profile
  • Downspouts discharging improperly
  • Sump pumps discharging improperly
  • Lack of a rear-yard drainage system connected to the municipal storm system
  • Fences/pools/sheds/gardens interrupting drainage patterns

Regardless of the cause, the end result is to direct and manage the water away from your home but not cause problems for your neighbours or City property.

For more information and tips to reduce basement flooding, visit Basement Flooding.

My neighbour has caused flooding on my property. What can I do?

A flooding or grading concern between two or more property owners generally falls into the realm of common law. It is up to the property owners involved to resolve the issue. The City of Windsor is not responsible for resolving flooding/grading concerns between property owners. If you feel your neighbour(s) has caused flooding on your property due to their grading, it is suggested that you politely discuss the concern with your neighbour to come up with a solution that benefits all property owners involved. If an amicable resolution cannot be found, it may be possible to make changes on your own property to improve the situation. As a last resort, consult with a lawyer about what legal action could be taken against your neighbour(s).

How much will it cost to fix?

The cost of implementing yard flooding mitigation measures, such as the installation of a private rear yard drainage system or rain gardens, will depend on the amount of work undertaken. It is always a good idea to get several estimates to select the best solution (and the best value) for your home. The City of Windsor does not pay for damages caused by yard flooding or for any flooding mitigation measures undertaken by the property owners. For more information on private rear yard drainage systems or rain gardens, see Rear Yard Drainage Detail or Rain Garden Layout.

A permit from the City will be required for the installation of any private drainage system connected to municipal or private sewers.

Can my sump pump and/or downspouts discharge to the road or sidewalk?

Your sump pump discharge pipe and downspouts should outlet to your own property, preferably the lawn. It should not outlet to your neighbour's property or City property, which includes the public sidewalk and road. Damage to the sidewalk or road can occur when water is directed towards them. Also, depending on the time of year, the water on the sidewalk and road can freeze, creating a hazard for pedestrians and vehicles.

Planning & Building Department
Building Division
350 City Hall Square West, 2nd Floor, Suite 210
Windsor, Ontario
P.O. Box 1607
N9A 6S1

Phone: For general information, call 311. For detailed inquires, call Building Services at 519-255-6267.