Marriage Licence Requirements
You may submit your marriage licence application by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or in person in the Office of the City Clerk. To avoid delays in processing your application, appointments are recommended; please call 519-255-6100 ext. 6139 for availability; however, walk-ins are welcome.
Marriage licences are issued between 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. If you arrive later than 4:00 p.m., you may submit your application for pickup the following business day or schedule an appointment for another day.
We suggest obtaining your marriage licence approximately four to six (4 to 6) weeks before your ceremony. A marriage licence is valid for three (3) months from the date of issue, and you may obtain your licence once your intended date is within that timeframe.
Please note: once issued, there are no refunds for marriage licences, or extensions.
If one or both parties are divorced, please contact our office at 519-255-6100 ext. 6139, as additional documentation is required.
What is required to issue your marriage licence:
Completed marriage licence application form, signed in ink by both parties
Two (2) pieces of original, valid government-issued identification for each applicant (If only one applicant is attending City Hall, they must provide original/physical identification for their partner.)
Original divorce certificate(s), foreign divorce authorization, decree nisi or decree absolute – or certified court copy (if applicable)
Please note: Divorce orders and judgements are not accepted
Marriage Licence Application (English) - Fillable PDF
Marriage Licence Application (English) - Printable PDF
- Licence fee is $135.00.
- Accepted payments for a marriage licence: Exact cash (Canadian funds only), debit or credit card (Mastercard and Visa)
Bring two (2) original pieces of valid government issued identification from the list below for each applicant.
One piece of identification must include your photo.
Driver's licence/enhanced driver's licence
Photo identification (I.D.) card
Permanent resident card
Armed forces I.D. card
Native status card
Record of immigration landing
United States green card
Photocopies are not accepted.
Documents not in English must be translated by a certified translator.
Marriage after Divorce
- If divorced in Canada, the couple must provide the original or a court-certified copy of the certificate of divorce when purchasing the licence. Divorce judgments or orders are not acceptable. Photocopies are not accepted.
- If divorced outside of Canada, please contact our office at (519) 255-6100 ext. 6139 for further requirements.
- Couples are responsible for bringing a language interpreter, if required, for a language other than English.
- Couples who require a sign language interpreter may make their own arrangements or may ask the Vital Statistics Office to make the necessary arrangements. As required by the City of Windsor's Accessibility Standards for Customer Service, the cost for a sign language interpreter will be borne by the City.
- If you need an interpreter, they will be required to show Vital Statistics staff one (1) piece of valid photo identification.
Age of Applicants:
- You must be at least 18 years old to be married in Ontario by licence or under the authority of the publication of banns without authorization or parental consent.
- If you are 16 or 17 years old, you may marry if you have the consent in writing of both parents. Other restrictions may apply.
For general information, call 311.
For detailed inquiries, call (519) 255-6100 ext. 6139 or e-mail email@example.com.