Marriage Licence Requirements
Marriage licence applications are accepted electronically, as well as in person. To avoid wait times and lengthy delays in processing your application, citizens are strongly encouraged to make an appointment. If one or both parties are divorced outside Canada, please contact our office, as additional documentation is required.
Please email email@example.com to begin the process of obtaining your marriage licence or to schedule an appointment for in-person services.
You may begin the process once you are within three (3) months of your intended ceremony date; however, we recommend obtaining your licence approximately four to six (4-6) weeks before your scheduled ceremony
In order for a marriage licence to be issued, the following must be presented in person:
Completed marriage licence application form, signed in ink by both parties
Two (2) pieces of original, valid government issued identification for each applicant (If only one applicant is attending City Hall, they must provide original identification for their partner.)
Divorce certificate(s), foreign divorce authorization, decree nisi or decree absolute – original or certified court copy (if applicable)
Please note: Once payment is made, there will be no refunds.
Marriage Licence Application (English) - Fillable PDF
Marriage Licence Application (English) - Printable PDF
- Licence fee is $135.00.
- Accepted payments for a marriage licence: Exact cash (Canadian funds only), debit or credit card (Mastercard and Visa)
Bring two (2) original pieces of valid government issued identification from the list below for each applicant.
One piece of identification must include your photo.
Photocopies are not accepted.
Documents not in English must be translated by a certified translator.
Marriage after Divorce
- If divorced in Canada, the couple must provide the original or a court-certified copy of the certificate of divorce when purchasing the licence. Divorce judgments or orders are not acceptable. Photocopies are not accepted.
- If divorced outside of Canada, please contact our office at (519) 255-6100 ext. 6139 for further requirements.
- Couples are responsible for bringing a language interpreter, if required, for a language other than English.
- Couples who require a sign language interpreter may make their own arrangements or may ask the Vital Statistics Office to make the necessary arrangements. As required by the City of Windsor's Accessibility Standards for Customer Service, the cost for a sign language interpreter will be borne by the City.
- If you need an interpreter, they will be required to show Vital Statistics staff one (1) piece of valid photo identification.
Age of Applicants:
- You must be at least 18 years old to be married in Ontario by licence or under the authority of the publication of banns without authorization or parental consent.
- If you are 16 or 17 years old, you may marry if you have the consent in writing of both parents. Other restrictions may apply.
For general information, call 311.
For detailed inquiries, call (519) 255-6100 ext. 6139 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.