Marriage Licence Requirements
Please email email@example.com to begin the marriage licence application process. At this time, due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, we are issuing licences by appointment only, no more than 30 days from the scheduled wedding.
We ask that all required documentation be submitted by email. The scheduled day for marriage licence pickup will be Wednesdays, and there will be no same-week service. Therefore, everything must be completed and payment must be processed not later than end of the business day on the Friday before in order to schedule your pickup for the following week. Only one of the applicants will be able to attend City Hall to pick up the licence. Please note: Once payment is made, there will be no refunds.
- The one party who is coming in to obtain the marriage licence must bring two pieces of original valid identification for each applicant and the marriage licence application, which must be signed by both applicants (please see below for identification requirements).
- There are no requirements respecting residency, pre-marital blood tests or medical certificates.
- If one or both parties are divorced, please contact our office, as additional documentation is required. Documentation for widowed parties is not required.
- Licence fee is $135.00.
- Accepted payments for a marriage licence: Exact cash (Canadian funds only), debit or credit card (Mastercard and Visa)
Photocopies are not accepted.
Documents not in English must be translated by a certified translator.
Marriage after Divorce
- If divorced in Canada, the couple must provide the original or a court-certified copy of the certificate of divorce when purchasing the licence. Divorce judgments or orders are not acceptable. Photocopies are not accepted.
- If divorced outside of Canada, please contact our office at (519) 255-6100 ext. 6139 for further requirements.
- Couples are responsible for bringing a language interpreter, if required, for a language other than English.
- Couples who require a sign language interpreter may make their own arrangements or may ask the Vital Statistics Office to make the necessary arrangements. As required by the City of Windsor's Accessibility Standards for Customer Service, the cost for a sign language interpreter will be borne by the City.
- If you need an interpreter, they will be required to show Vital Statistics staff one (1) piece of valid photo identification.
Age of Applicants:
- You must be at least 18 years old to be married in Ontario by licence or under the authority of the publication of banns without authorization or parental consent.
- If you are 16 or 17 years old, you may marry if you have the consent in writing of both parents. Other restrictions may apply.
For general information, call 311.
For detailed inquiries, call (519) 255-6100 ext. 6139 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.