Marriage Licence Requirements
- At least one party to the proposed marriage must apply in person with the completed marriage application form signed by both parties. However, two pieces of original valid identification are required for each applicant, and the application must be signed by both applicants (please see below for identification requirements) .
- There are no requirements respecting residency, pre-marital blood tests or medical certificates.
- If one or both parties are divorced, please contact our office, as additional documentation is required. Documentation for widowed parties is not required.
- Licence Fee is $135.00
- Accepted payments for a marriage licence: Cash - (Canadian funds only), debit or credit card (Mastercard and Visa)
Photocopies of photocopies are not accepted.
Documents not in English must be translated by a certified translator.
Divorce: Divorce judgments or orders are not acceptable.
- Marriage after Divorce: If divorced in Canada, the couple must provide the original or a court-certified copy of the certificate of divorce when purchasing the licence. Photocopies will not be accepted.
If divorced outside of Canada, please contact our office at (519) 255-6100 ext. 6139 for further requirements.
- Language Interpreter: Couples are responsible for bringing a language interpreter, if required, for a language other than English.
If you need an interpreter, he/she will be required to show the licence issuer one (1) piece of valid photo identification.
Age of Applicants:
- You must be at least 18 years old to be married in Ontario by licence or under the authority of the publication of banns without authorization or parental consent.
- If you are 16 or 17 years old, you may marry if you have the consent in writing of both parents. Other restrictions may apply.
Phone: For general information, call 311.
For detailed inquiries, call (519) 255-6100 ext. 6139 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org