Marriage Licence Requirements
Please email email@example.com to begin the process of obtaining your marriage licence. Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, we recommend you obtain your licence approximately four (4) weeks before your scheduled ceremony; however, you may begin the process once you are within three (3) months of your intended ceremony date.
We ask that all required documentation be submitted by email for processing. A draft marriage licence will be generated and issued to you and once you have approved the draft; a brief in-person appointment will be scheduled at your convenience to process payment and pickup the marriage licence. Only one of the applicants will be able to attend City Hall to pick up the licence and must present all of the original documentation.
Please note: Once payment is made, there will be no refunds.
Marriage Licence Application (English) - Fillable PDF
Marriage Licence Application (English) - Printable PDF
- The one party who is coming in to obtain the marriage licence must bring two pieces of original valid identification for each applicant and the marriage licence application, which must be signed by both applicants (please see below for identification requirements).
- There are no requirements respecting residency, pre-marital blood tests or medical certificates.
- If one or both parties are divorced, please contact our office, as additional documentation is required. Documentation for widowed parties is not required.
- Licence fee is $135.00.
- Accepted payments for a marriage licence: Exact cash (Canadian funds only), debit or credit card (Mastercard and Visa)
Bring two (2) original pieces of valid government issued identification from the list below for each applicant.
One piece of identification must include your photo.
Photocopies are not accepted.
Documents not in English must be translated by a certified translator.
Marriage after Divorce
- If divorced in Canada, the couple must provide the original or a court-certified copy of the certificate of divorce when purchasing the licence. Divorce judgments or orders are not acceptable. Photocopies are not accepted.
- If divorced outside of Canada, please contact our office at (519) 255-6100 ext. 6139 for further requirements.
- Couples are responsible for bringing a language interpreter, if required, for a language other than English.
- Couples who require a sign language interpreter may make their own arrangements or may ask the Vital Statistics Office to make the necessary arrangements. As required by the City of Windsor's Accessibility Standards for Customer Service, the cost for a sign language interpreter will be borne by the City.
- If you need an interpreter, they will be required to show Vital Statistics staff one (1) piece of valid photo identification.
Age of Applicants:
- You must be at least 18 years old to be married in Ontario by licence or under the authority of the publication of banns without authorization or parental consent.
- If you are 16 or 17 years old, you may marry if you have the consent in writing of both parents. Other restrictions may apply.
For general information, call 311.
For detailed inquiries, call (519) 255-6100 ext. 6139 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.