Marriage Licence Requirements

You may submit your marriage licence application by email to or in person in the Office of the City Clerk. To avoid delays in processing your application, appointments are recommended; please call 519-255-6100 ext. 6139 for availability; however, walk-ins are welcome.

Marriage licences are issued between 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. If you arrive later than 4:00 p.m., you may submit your application for pickup the following business day or schedule an appointment for another day.

We suggest obtaining your marriage licence approximately four to six (4 to 6) weeks before your ceremony. A marriage licence is valid for three (3) months from the date of issue, and you may obtain your licence once your intended date is within that time frame.

Please note: once issued, there are no refunds for marriage licences, or extensions.

If one or both parties are divorced outside of Canada, please contact our office at or call (519) 255-6100 ext. 6139, as a different process must be followed.

What is required to issue your marriage licence:

  • Completed marriage licence application form, signed in ink by both parties
  • Two (2) pieces of original, valid government-issued identification for each applicant (If only one applicant is attending City Hall, they must provide original/physical identification for their partner.)
  • Original divorce certificate(s), foreign divorce authorization, decree nisi or decree absolute – or certified court copy (if applicable)

Please note: Divorce orders and judgements are not accepted


Marriage Licence Application (Fillable) - English.PDF
Marriage Licence Application (English) - Printable PDF


  • Licence fee is $140.00. (effective May 1, 2024)
  • Accepted payments for a marriage licence: Exact cash (Canadian funds only), debit or credit card (Mastercard and Visa)

Identification Required:

  • Bring two (2) original pieces of valid government issued identification from the list below for each applicant.
    One piece of identification must include your photo.
    • With photo:
      • Passport
      • Driver's licence/enhanced driver's licence
      • Photo identification (I.D.) card
      • Citizenship card
      • Permanent resident card
      • Nexus card
      • Armed forces I.D. card
      • Native status card
      • Record of immigration landing
      • United States green card
    • Without photo:
      • Birth certificate
      • Change of name certificate
      • Immigration status papers (i.e. record of landing, work visa)
  • Photocopies and images are not accepted.
  • Documents not in English must be translated by a certified translator.

Marriage after Divorce

  • If divorced in Canada, the couple must provide the original or a court-certified copy of the certificate of divorce when purchasing the licence. Divorce judgments or orders are not acceptable. Photocopies are not accepted.
  • If divorced outside of Canada, please contact our office at or call (519) 255-6100 ext. 6139 for further requirements.

Language Interpreter

  • Couples are responsible for bringing a language interpreter, if required, for a language other than English.
  • Couples who require a sign language interpreter may make their own arrangements or may ask the Vital Statistics Office to make the necessary arrangements. As required by the City of Windsor's Accessibility Standards for Customer Service, the cost for a sign language interpreter will be borne by the City.
  • If you need an interpreter, they will be required to show Vital Statistics staff one (1) piece of valid photo identification.

Age of Applicants:

  • You must be at least 18 years old to be married in Ontario by licence or under the authority of the publication of banns without authorization or parental consent.
  • If you are 16 or 17 years old, you may marry if you have the consent in writing of both parents. Other restrictions may apply.

Office of the City Clerk, Council Services
530 - 350 City Hall Square West
Windsor, Ontario

For general information, call 311.
For detailed inquiries, contact us at or call (519) 255-6100 ext. 6139.

Getting Married Marriage Licence Application (English) Demande de Licence de Mariage (français) Marriage Information