Terms and Conditions
Passengers are reminded to board at the front doors and exit at the rear doors.
Travellers with accessible needs may exit from the front of the bus.
The following is a complete listing of the terms and conditions for all Transit Windsor (TW) fare media products. Valid and current photo identification is required to purchase reduced fare products.
Transit Windsor (TW) is an exact fare system. Our drivers do not carry cash and cannot make change, and overpayments are not reimbursed.
American dimes and American dollar coins are not accepted on our buses. No Canadian or American bills over $20 are accepted.
Effective July 1, 2020, children 12 years of age and under are free on City service with a full paying passenger. If riding alone, qualifies as youth.
Every passenger must pay the applicable fare on cross-border travel between Windsor and Detroit, regardless of age.
Tunnel bus fare may be paid in either Canadian or American funds; however, no currency exchange is given.
TW Smart Pass
- Your first smart pass is sold at Windsor International Transit Terminal. Subsequently, you can reload your smart pass at various locations throughout the city.
- May be purchased for 15 or 30 days. Additional days can be purchased in increments of 15 days.
- Your photo is printed directly on your smart pass. Note: A change in fare category requires a new smart pass. The person changing categories must be present to have their photo taken.
- When you board the bus, tap the card on the fare reader and in seconds it will accept your ride.
- The pass is reloadable and can be used over and over again
- Youth have one (1) year from date of purchase to reload their smart pass. Once the one (1) year has expired, you are required to provide valid I.D. in order to purchase a youth smart pass.
- Only valid when properly validated by the smart fare reader. If rejected, the pass is either expired or has no value remaining.
Semester Pass Insurance
Name and contact number must be provided at time of purchase.
Must have a valid receipt showing card issuance number.
The above conditions must be met in order to have your card replaced under the Semester Pass free insurance policy.
TW Smart Ride
- Your first smart ride card and reloads, are sold at Windsor International Transit Terminal.
- May be purchased for a minimum of 5 rides. Additional rides can be purchased in increments of 5 rides.
The card is reloadable and can be used over and over again.
If you board a second bus within 2 hours of paying for your original trip, the card identifies your next trip as a transfer. No need to ask the driver for a paper transfer.
You're only able to pay one fare with a smart ride card. A second person must pay their own fare.
You may be required to present valid identification to the driver when paying your fare in the youth category.
Only valid when properly validated by the smart fare reader. If rejected, the card is either expired or has no value remaining.
Do not bend or punch holes in your card, as it contains a microchip, and Transit Windsor will not refund a card that malfunctions due to these modifications.
What do I do if my smart card stops working?
There could be a couple of reasons why your smart card isn't working:
There is no product loaded on the smart card.
The smart card has been damaged.
To help determine which it is, bring your smart card to a customer service staff member at Windsor International Transit Terminal or Transit Centre, and someone will be able to assist you. If there is no product on the card, simply purchase additional rides or days, depending on the type of card you have.
If your smart card has accidentally been damaged, then a replacement may be provided. To receive a replacement, you'll need your card and proof of purchase (receipt you received at time or purchase).
Replacements are provided at Transit Windsor's discretion, and we have the right to refuse to provide a replacement for any reason.
Use your cell phone to take a photo of your receipt (proof of purchase). Save it to your phone so you'll always have a copy. The only way a damaged card can be replaced is with proof of purchase.
Register your card with a Customer Service staff member. Having your registered card in our system, will assist us in determining if you're eligible for a replacement.
Each ticket is good for one single ride.
Deposit ticket into the bill module of the farebox.
You may be required to present valid identification to the driver when paying your fare with a student (youth) ticket.
Day Pass: Ride All Day
Day passes are valid for one day from the time of issue until 3:00 a.m. on the following day and may only be purchased on the bus for travel on the same day.
You must tell the driver you wish to purchase a day pass before putting your money into the farebox. It must be exact fare or the pass will not print.
- Gift cards can be loaded with a minimum of 15 days. Additional days can be loaded in increments of 15 days.
- The recipient is required to personalize it with their photo. Photo Identification is taken at Windsor International Transit Terminal or Transit Centre.
- Gift cards that haven't been personalized will be confiscated.
- You must ask for a transfer ticket after paying your cash or paper ticket fare and before taking your seat.
- When using a smart ride card and boarding a bus within 2 hours of paying for your original trip, the card identifies your next trip as a transfer. The farebox screen will display the time your transfer expires. No need to ask the driver for a paper transfer.
- A transfer is not issued for a bus pass, smart ride card, from another transfer slip, or from a ride all day pass.
- Transfers are printed from the farebox and time stamped when issued. The expiry date/time is printed on the ticket, so the driver may verify if the transfer does not read properly and you believe the ticket is still valid.
- You may travel in any direction, on any route, and from any bus stop, within the 2-hour period, even if 2 or more buses are required to complete your trip.
- Transfers are not applicable on the tunnel bus or special event service between Windsor and Detroit.
- Pass the transfer ticket through the bar code reader located in the top left side of the farebox, and do not feed the transfer into the bill module.
- In case of dispute, passengers are to pay the fare and call 311 or 519-944-4111. When calling, please refer to your transfer ticket as it will have the bus number, route name, expiry time and date printed on the ticket. You also need to provide the time, date and bus route on which the transfer would not work.
Conditions For All Products
- A youth is anyone between 13 and 19 years old. Valid government identification is required.
A senior is anyone 60 years and older.
- All fare media products are non-transferable and non-refundable even if lost or stolen.
- Fare media products may not be redeemed or refunded for cash, or exchanged for another product of the same or different value.
- Fare media products may only be purchased from an authorized sales agent, and may not be resold.
- Failure to use the correct fare media category will result in the confiscation of the product.
- Persons altering Transit Windsor products will be prosecuted.
- Fare media products will be confiscated if defaced or altered.
- Transit Windsor is not liable for any loss to the holder from service interruption or any other cause.
3700 North Service Road East
Canada N8W 5X2
Phone: For general information, call 311. For detailed inquiries, call 519-944-4111.