Applying for Ontario Works

A young woman with glasses smiles while standing in a line with other people.

How Do I Apply for Ontario Works?

There are two ways to apply for Ontario Works - online and by phone.


You can apply for Ontario Works online here:

The link above includes complete instructions on how to apply for Ontario Works.

Once you’ve completed your online application, you will be called by an Ontario Works caseworker. The caseworker will review your online application and set up an appointment time for you to come into the office and sign the necessary documents. 

By Phone

Phone Number
(519) 255-5600 or toll free at 1-866-925-2022

Monday through Friday, 8:30 to 11:30 a.m. and 1 to 4 p.m.

When you call, a brief application will be taken, and a time will be set for you to meet with a caseworker to finalize your application (verification interview).

Direct Deposit for Ontario Works Assistance

To ensure fast and secure Ontario Works payments, please provide direct deposit banking information to your caseworker.

Direct deposit is the easiest way to receive your payments.

To learn more, please discuss this with your caseworker.

How Can I Learn More About Applying?

You can find an overview of the entire Ontario Works application process and learn more about how to apply using our step-by-step online guide by using the link below: 

Ontario Works Application Process Guide​

What Do I Need to Bring to My Appointment?

Please bring the following with you to your verification interview:

  • Proof of date of birth (birth certificate, passport, immigration papers, etc.)
  • Social Insurance Number
  • Ontario health card number
  • Relevant immigration papers (if applicable)
  • Rental or mortgage information
  • Income information (earnings, pensions and support)
  • All banking (three months of bank records)​ and investment information (including account balances and branch details)
  • A list of assets including house, car and any investments
  • Employment history (past and current employer information and details)
  • A list of addresses where you have lived during the past 12 months and the dates you lived in each location
  • List of outstanding debts (current bills, loans, etc.)
  • If you are divorced or separated: Separation Agreement, a copy of your Decree Nisi and Decree Absolute or your Divorce Judgment and your Certificate of Divorce
  • If you are a widow or widower: Letters of probate, proof of death, copy of Will(s), proof of amount of insurance received, proof of disbursements or monies received
  • If you are in school: Verification of school attendance (timetables, attendance reports, report cards)
  • Your resume (if you have one)

Document Drop-Offs

You can drop off any required documents or letters as follows:


The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act dictates that employees of the City of Windsor Department of Social Support Services cannot divulge any information on an applicant or recipient without the signed consent of the person in question.

More Information

In Windsor:
Call 311 for general information. For detailed inquiries, call (519) 255-5200 or toll free at 1-866-925-2022.
Fax: (519) 255-1011 or (519) 255-1503

In Leamington:
Call (519) 946-9988 or toll free at 1-866-925-2022.
Fax: (519) 322-3529 or toll free at 1-866-763-1222