When Do I Need a Minor Variance/Permission?

A minor variance is a change or permission from the specific requirements of the City's zoning by-law, sign by-law or fence by-law. The minor variance process allows a property owner the opportunity to seek permission or relief from a specific provision of these by-laws by applying to the Committee of Adjustment.

Minor variances may be granted provided that, in the opinion of the Committee:

  • The request is minor in nature,
  • It is desirable for the appropriate development or use of the land, building or structure, and
  • The general intent and purpose of the zoning by-law and the Official Plan are maintained.

For Step-by-step instructions, see Minor Variance Application Steps.

For general information, call 311. For detailed inquiries, contact us at:

Planning Department
Suite 210, 350 City Hall Square West
Windsor, Ontario, Canada N9A 6S1
Phone: (519) 255-6543
Fax: (519) 255-6544