Appeals Procedure
Skip to main content Skip to navigation Skip to footer

Appeals Procedure

How to Appeal a Decision

Please note that there is a twenty-day statutory appeal period that applies to all applications. Information sheets titled Procedure to Appeal a Minor Variance/Permission Decision and Procedure to Appeal a Consent/Severance Decision are available at the hearing location and accompany specific decisions when they are sent out. It is imperative that your notice of appeal is filed no later than the last date of appeal noted on the written decision.

a) Appeal: If an appeal is filed, the matter will be forwarded to the Ontario Municipal Board for their processing. Once the appeal is filed, all further communications regarding the appeal must be directed to and come directly from the Ontario Municipal Board. Should you wish to be notified by the Ontario Municipal Board of a hearing, you must submit a written request for a copy of the decision of the Committee of Adjustment to the Secretary Treasurer no later than the last date of the statutory appeal period. 

b) No appeal filed: If at the end of the appeal period no appeal was filed, the decision will be in position to become final and binding (subject to removal of any conditions imposed within the stipulated time frame).

Need Help?
Ontario Municipal Board - Citizen Liaison Office

The Citizen Liaison Office will help the public to understand the OMB's processes and to be better informed on how to participate at OMB hearings.  It will complement the changes to planning legislation as the government proceeds with OMB reform.

The Citizen Liaison Office will:

  • Provide information to the public about the OMB, such as how to file an appeal, the hearing process, and the issuance of decisions
  • Develop information materials about the OMB to assist the public
  • Be available to the public, either in person or by phone
  • Provide recommendations to the Board on how to improve access to the OMB and the transparency of its operations

The OMB plays a critical role in Ontario's land-use planning process, ensuring that there is an independent, public body to settle land-use disputes.  The Citizen Liaison Office will assist the public to participate effectively in the process.

If a further explanation of any of the above is required, contact the Office of the Secretary-Treasurer at the number below. Please provide either the file number or address of the subject property when making any inquiries.

Planning Department
Suite 210, 350 City Hall Square West
Windsor, Ontario, Canada N9A 6S1
For general information, call 311. For detailed inquiries, call 519-255-6543
Fax: 519-255-6544