Special Needs Housing

Special Needs Housing

Special Needs Housing means a unit that is occupied by or is made available for occupancy by a household having one or more individuals who require accessibility modifications or support services in order to live independently in the community. Income limits do not apply.

  • Modified Special Needs Units: Currently, each individual Housing Provider is responsible for accepting and processing applications for modified units (accessible for wheel chairs). Accordingly, applicants may apply directly to each Non-Profit Housing Provider with these types of units. However, to facilitate the application process for disabled applicants, the Windsor-Essex County Central Housing Registry will also accept and process applications for modified units and will work with each Housing Provider to ensure equal access to all applicants on a chronological (date of application) basis.
  • Supportive Special Needs Units: Some Social Housing Providers in the City of Windsor and County of Essex have referral agreements with supportive agencies for persons with special needs. These organizations provide the support an applicant may require to live independently in the community. These agencies have their own selection and placement criteria for social housing units in the Windsor-Essex County service area; but applicants must also meet the basic eligibility criteria.

For further information on Special Needs Housing, contact:

Central Housing Registry-Windsor
2470 Dougall Avenue, Unit 6
Windsor, Ontario
N8X 1T2
Phone: 519-254-6994
Fax: 519-254-9166
Email: chrwec@wechc.com

Central Housing Registry-Essex County
15C Talbot Street North
Essex, Ontario
N8M 1A5
Phone: 519-776-4631
Toll Free: 1-800-256-6947
Fax: 519-776-5510
Email: chrwec@wechc.com

Housing and Children's Services
P.O. Box 428, Station A
Windsor, Ontario
N9A 6L7

Phone: For general information, call 311. For detailed inquiries, call 519-255-5200 ext. 6240.
Fax: 519-256-7107
Email: sshousing@citywindsor.ca