Coronavirus (COVID 19) Frequently Asked Questions

COVID-19 Frequently Asked Questions

General information

Where can I get the most up-to-date health information about COVID-19?

Who should I contact if I have questions about COVID-19 and testing?

  • The majority of COVID-19 illnesses are mild. A clinician can help guide whether you will require further care or potential testing in person. Please use one of the following options:
    • Contact your primary care provider (for example, family doctor). Let them know that you have used this self-assessment tool.
    • Contact Telehealth Ontario at 1-866-797-0000 and speak with a registered nurse. Let them know that you have used the self-assessment tool.

What are the requirements for masks/face coverings?

  • Effective August 19, 2020, a mask that covers the nose and mouth is required in all indoor public spaces by order of the Mayor, pursuant to section 4(1) of the Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act, including places of business, community centres, places of worship, entertainment venues and any common-use areas within a multi-use dwelling (such as lobby, elevator, laundry rooms and corridors). Exceptions are made for children and those with underlying medical conditions and to comply with the Ontario Human Rights Code.
  • Find tips and more about masks on the Windsor-Essex County Health Unit's website.

How can I report COVID-19-related complaints?

  • For detailed information on this topic, please see the Health Unit's guide on reporting and complaints.
  • Note: The use of 9-1-1 is for emergency situations where someone is in immediate danger. If you are calling regarding a non-emergency complaint during City business hours, Monday to Friday (stat holidays exempted) from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., complaints regarding COVID-19-related issues in Windsor can be directed via telephone to 311.
  • Stop the Spread Business Information Line: 1-888-444-3659
  • Price Gouging Complaint Line: 1-800-889-9768

Where can I find community supports during the COVID-19 pandemic?

While we cannot provide a comprehensive list of supports in our community, a good first step is to call 211, Windsor-Essex’s help line for community programs and services. See 211 Ontario: How to access help during COVID-19. Here is a brief selection of services offered by our community partners:

  • Windsor-Essex Seniors Call Assurance Program provides meaningful connections for seniors in isolation due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Call 1-877-771-2677, Monday to Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
  • If you or someone you know is a senior or person with a disability who doesn’t have the capacity to cook for themselves and requires a meal delivery of prepared meals, call the Windsor-Essex Food Helpline at 888-488-1578 for support. (Fees may apply.)
  • Learn more about the new drive-thru food hub at the Unemployed Help Centre of Windsor Inc. with Mayor Drew Dilkens.
  • Windsor-Essex Counselling Support Line offers help for anxiety, stress, fear and depression as the need for physical isolation in Windsor-Essex continues. Call 519-946-3277 or 1-877-451-1055.

What is happening with eviction orders?

Please note: Landlord/tenant relations are not governed by the City of Windsor, but the Province of Ontario offers the information below. For the latest updates, please check the Landlord and Tenant Board website.

  • In response to the evolving COVID-19 public health situation, no new eviction orders (stemming from a Landlord Tenant Board decision) will be issued until further notice, and sheriff's offices will postpone any scheduled enforcement of current eviction orders.
  • The Landlord and Tenant Board (LTB) has reviewed the appropriate approach to conducting hearings, and until further notice the LTB is suspending:
    • All hearings related to eviction applications, unless the matter relates to an urgent issue such as an illegal act or serious impairment of safety; and
    • The issuance of eviction orders, unless the matter relates to an urgent issue, such as an illegal act or serious impairment of safety.
  • Hearings related to eviction applications will not be scheduled at this time.
  • Tenants must continue to pay rent while an eviction order is not being enforced.

Planning, Response and City Services

What are the changes to Transit Windsor's services?

  • Transit Windsor has resumed full service on all city and county routes and will also introduce Route 518X, a new limited-stop express route from Tecumseh Mall to St. Clair College via Devonshire Mall, on September 7.
  • Protective barriers have been installed on all Transit Windsor buses. Riders are encouraged to board at the front door and exit at the rear door (with the exception of those with mobility needs who may exit at the front door).
  • Fare media, including the re-loading of Transit Windsor Smart Cards, is available at the Transit Centre (3700 North Service Road East) and Windsor International Transit Terminal (300 Chatham Street West). Capacity limits are in place, and all customers and vendors entering either facility are required to fill out a screening and contact tracing form. See Transit Windsor hours of operation.
  • The mandatory mask policy remains in effect indefinitely, and bus capacity will be limited to seated loads only (no standees) to allow for physical distancing on board.

What's happening with the Provincial Offences (POA) Courts?

The POA courts are operating remotely only; however, POA counter services are available to the public by appointment only, and appointments must be made at least 24 hours in advance. You can make an appointment online at our website or by speaking to a phone representative. For urgent requests, please email or call 519-255-6555.

See our Provincial Offences web page and the Ontario Court of Justice web page for further information and updates.

Are marinas and boat launches open?

  • The Lakeview Park Marina is open; see the Marina page for details on times.
  • The boat launch in McKee Park and the small craft launches at Shanfield Shores and Stop 26 are already open.

Are City recreation facilities closed?

  • Sandpoint Beach is now closed for the season and is unsupervised. Lifeguards are not on duty. Use at your own risk.
  • Sports field permits are wrapping up for the season. Fields will begin closing through the month of October based on end of use by existing permit holders.
  • All arenas, including WFCU Centre, Capri Pizzeria Recreation Complex, Forest Glade Arena and Adie Knox Herman Arena are now open and available for rentals with capacity limits on spectators and a requirement for 2 metres physical distancing for those not participating in the sport. Proof of vaccination is required prior to entry into the facility for all participants, spectators, parents, coaches and volunteers 12 years of age and over effective October 1, 2021 in accordance with the letter of instruction issued by the Windsor Essex County Health Unit.
  • Cannon Cove, Adventure Bay Family Water Park Presented by WFCU Credit Union, indoor museums and all other cultural facilities remain closed at this time.
  • Eight of the City’s splash pads are open. Splash pads are open 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. each day. See list of splash pad locations.
  • Roseland Golf and Curling Club and the Little River Golf Club are both open. COVID-19 guidelines will be in place and must be followed. Tee times can be booked online at Roseland's website or by phone at 519-969-3810. Tee times at Little River are via phone reservation only at 519-945-3935.

Any inquires can be emailed to

Are City parks still open?

  • Parks and trails remain open for informal recreation purposes, but users are asked to please observe social distancing. Provincial guidelines for gatherings must be observed.
  • Picnic permitting continues and will follow the current regulations. If you are thinking about organizing a picnic, the next step is to call (519) 253-2300 for information on picnic permit fees and site availability.
  • Outdoor religious services, rites and ceremonies with capacity limited to permit 2-metre physical distancing are allowed. Permits can be issued based on availability, with noted capacity limits, at select outdoor park sites, including Willistead Manor– Paul Martin Gardens (no interior access), Mary E. Bibb Park, Reaume Park and Alexander Park. Please visit Windsor Essex County Health Unit for the most up to date information as it relates to Outdoor ceremonies.

Parks Amenities:

Open, as long as 2-metre physical distancing can be maintained:

  • Parks and recreational areas, including benches
  • Playgrounds, play structures, and play equipment
  • Off-leash dog parks
  • Outdoor sports facilities, such as golf courses, tennis courts, basketball courts and skate parks
  • Picnic sites and picnic tables

Are public washrooms in parks open?

All washrooms are open and will remain open from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. daily, weather permitting. However, some locations start to close as early as 7 p.m. as staff cycle through

Is parking still being enforced?

  • Meter parking is free for 15 minutes when using the Passport Parking App. Users can simply enter Zone #3800 at any meter in the city. This is an effort to help with take-out restaurant orders. The app can be used once every six hours.
  • With the exception of the free 15 minutes mentioned above, regular enforcement of parking at street meters continues as normal. Please follow the times laid out at the meters and on signage in municipal lots and garages, and pay the appropriate amount for the time you need to park.
  • The Public Works administration building located at 1266 McDougall Street has reopened to the public from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday.
  • Outstanding parking ticket payments can still be made online, mailed in or submitted through the secure front-door mail slot at 1266 McDougall Avenue.
  • For all parking and enforcement information, visit the parking enforcement page.

Is garbage and recycle still being collected?

  • While garbage and recycling collection are continuing as normal, we would ask that residents keep 6 feet (2 metres) away from collectors. Also, all garbage related by-laws still apply, i.e., must be in acceptable containers, can not be overflowing, must be under 44 pounds, etc.
  • Please also note updated guidelines on the Essex-Windsor Solid Waste Authority's Safe Waste Management/COVID-19 page to help keep our workers protected while they perform this valuable service. General info can be found on our Waste and Recycling page. Yard waste collection is continuing on its regular schedule.
  • Public Drop-Off Depot will remain open at limited capacity to ensure social distancing. Delays can be expected. The rodent program will continue; street sweeping program and litter bin collections are operating on a reduced service level; and special event services will be offered for approved events throughout the city.

Are the Public Drop-Off and Household Chemical Waste Depots open?

  • Solid Waste Drop-Off (3560 North Service Road East) has reopened to the public.
    • Hours of Operation: Monday to Saturday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
    • The Public Drop-Off Depot will resume normal operations with acceptance of waste, including couches, construction materials, electronics, etc.
    • Residents may bring items to the Household Chemical Drop-Off.
    • The Reuse Centre will remain closed until further notice.
    • Bagged Garden Gold Compost will be on sale.
  • Note: COVID-19 Protocols
    • The site is staffed by essential service workforce, so strict adherence to COVID protocols will be maintained for the safety of workers.
    • Only residents who require service beyond their normal curbside collection should come to these sites, as excessive traffic and long wait times are expected.
    • Site may close early due to excessive volumes of traffic.
    • Debit/credit only – sites are cash-free. A vehicle without debit/credit will be turned away.

Are libraries open?

  • Libraries are once again open but with the ablity to social distance determining the number of patrons allowed in at one time. For more information on available services, visit the Windsor Public Library website for further details

Can I still obtain a marriage licence or have a civil ceremony?

  • City Hall is currently issuing marriage licences by appointment only for ceremonies taking place within 30 days. Visit the Marriage Licences page for details.
  • Civil ceremonies are available, but please contact the Clerk's Department for the latest information at

What City services can I access online?

  • The following online services can be found on the City of Windsor’s website by clicking this link: E-Services.

    • 311 Online - Complete a service request online for many City services.
    • Active Windsor - Info and registration for recreation and culture programs, rentals and memberships.
    • BizPaL - Everything you need to start a new business or renew existing permits and licences.
    • Building Permits - Apply for building permits and view their status.
    • Child Care Subsidy - Child care fee assistance for eligible families with children, birth to 12 years old.
    • Council/Meeting Delegation - Submit delegation request for City Council and standing committee meetings.
    • Dog Licence - Obtain or renew your annual dog licence.
    • Emergency Utility Cut Permits - cut permits, utility companies only.
    • My Property Tax - View your property tax account, make requests and provide updates.
    • Ontario Works Application - Apply for Ontario Works.
    • Open Data Catalog - Use municipal data to create and share resources from maps to apps and more.
    • Public Property Inquiry - View assessments, associated permits and violations.
    • Ticket Payment - Pay City of Windsor parking tickets and Provincial Offences Act (POA) tickets.

Are City Council and committee meetings still taking place?

Windsor City Council will remain in a virtual-only format until further notice.

Please refer to the following resources to help stay on top of the latest updates:


What precautions can I take to protect from COVID-19?

  • The precautions to protect yourself against COVID-19 are the same as those used to protect against common respiratory illnesses, such as the flu.
  • Members of the public are advised to take the usual measures to reduce the risk of transmission of respiratory illness, which include the following:
    • Wash your hands often with soap and water or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
    • Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
    • Avoid close contact with people who are ill.
    • Stay home when you are ill.
    • Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then immediately throw the tissue in the garbage and wash your hands. If you don’t have a tissue, sneeze or cough into your sleeve or arm.
    • Clean and disinfect objects and surfaces that are frequently touched.
    • It is recommended that you follow usual health precautions above and follow the instructions provided by health care facilities.

What do I do if I or someone I know have to self isolate?

The Government of Canada and Public Health Ontario offer the following helpful resources for situations where self isolation is required:

How do you properly wash your hands?

  • Wash your hands often with soap and water.
  • To get properly germ-free hands, you need to lather them up with soap, and scrub for at least 20 seconds (about the time it takes to sing "Happy Birthday" twice) under clean, running water.
  • Ensure to rub the front and back of your hands, and between fingers.
  • Dry your hands properly, preferably with paper towel.
  • Use alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available.

Taxation FAQ

What is the 2021 Final Property Tax Schedule?

  • 2021 Final Property Tax Bills have been mailed.
  • If you have not received your bill by July 5, 2021, please call 311 or e-mail
  • Due dates for regular tax payments are July 14, September 15, and November 17, 2021.
  • The City also offers three convenient pre-authorized payment plans (PAP). Due dates for each of the PAP plans are as follows:
    • Installment Date Plan: July 14, September 15, November 17, 2021
    • Mid Month Plan: July 15, August 16, September 15, October 15 and November 15, 2021
    • End of Month Plan: July 30, August 30, September 30, October 29 and November 30, 2021

How can I get caught up on my property tax payments?

  • The City offers payment plan arrangements to assist property owners in bringing their account balance up to date.
  • The City also offers a tax relief program for residents (conditions apply).
  • To request assistance, e-mail

How can I pay my property taxes without attending City Hall or my financial institution?

  • Property tax payment can be made using these alternative methods:
    • Online via internet or telephone banking. Set up the City of Windsor as a bill payment using the Roll Number as the account number (15 digits that follow 37-39).
    • One of three pre-authorized payment plans. Forms can be found on our Paying Your Taxes page and can be submitted electronically to or faxed 519-255-7310.
    • Mail a cheque to The City of Windsor – Taxation Department, 350 City Hall Square West, Suite 410, Windsor, ON N9A 6S1

How can I get information about my property taxes?

  • 311 is able to answer general property tax enquiries and will create a service request if a more detailed response is required. Alternatively questions can be e-mailed to Information including the following can also be found using the My Property Tax e-service. Registration is required.
  • You can access your account by clicking Sign In or Registration if you do not have an account.
  • Services include:
    • Review history of tax account
    • Enrol in pre-authorized payment plan
    • Request information or submit changes

What if I am selling or purchasing a property?

  • Your lawyer should be advising our office at the time that the transaction has closed. Documents can be e-mailed to or faxed 519-255-7310.
  • Changes to the ownership will be made within three weeks from the date that the information is received from your lawyer. A Statement of Account will be mailed to the new owners as confirmation that the change has been processed. Inquiries related to an ownership change should only be made after the three-week period has passed.

How can I register for, change or cancel my pre-authorized payment plan?

What if I have made an overpayment or am expecting a refund?

  • Generally, any amounts that result in a credit to your property tax are retained on your account to offset future taxes. Should you require a refund, a request in writing must be made and e-mailed to Refunds will be processed on an as needed basis.

For general tax inquiries call 311 or email