A driveway/access permit is required to gain access to the public right-of-way from private property for your lead walks and driveways. This permit allows you to cross the boulevard area or cut the curb.
- Residential - To obtain the right to access a residential property, a scaled drawing of the driveway will be required to review the size and location of the requested curb cut and establish the approach that will be constructed. The following are required prior to issuance of a permit:
- Non-Residential - To obtain the right to access a commercial or industrial zoned property, a scaled drawing must be submitted showing the size and location of any accesses to the property. The drawing must show the materials to be used and how the driveway is going to be constructed. The following are required prior to issuance of a permit:
- Drawing (maximum size 11 inches x 17 inches)
- Permit application
- Approved Development or Servicing or Site Plan Control Agreement
- Payment of fees
- For the portion of the driveway on the public right-of-way, you will require two inspections. Please call (519) 255-6257 ext. 6359 or 6483 to book an appointment. An Inspector must review the driveway location and stone base before final surface. The Inspector must also review the final work and restoration (i.e. forms removed, saw cuts complete, backfill levelled).
- You must call for base inspection before pouring or paving.
- Please allow one (1) day notice for inspection.
Driveway Permit Costs
- As of September 2023, the minimum cost of a driveway permit is $227.00, plus a $1,000.00 indemnity fee.
- Note: Fees may change from year to year.
All new driveways must be hard surfaced meeting City Standards and Engineering Best Practices. This applies to the public right-of-way. If the driveway material is anything other than asphalt or concrete, a Driveway Waiver is required to be filled out and submitted with the application.
According to Council Resolution CR92/2003, for front yard paving where the purpose is other than the standard side yard driveway and garage access, the following conditions will apply:
- The pavement must be one (1) metre from any above ground utilities structure.
- You must pave your driveway and approach within one year.
- Hard surfaced as per City Standards and Engineering Best Practices.
- Location as per City Standards and Engineering Best Practices.
Payment of an indemnity deposit (to ensure the public right-of-way is returned to its pre-construction condition) is required and will vary depending on the location of the work. The deposit is refundable 45 days following satisfactory restoration and final inspection of the public right-of-way.
Development, Projects and Right-of-Way
350 City Hall Square West, 2nd Floor, Suite 210
Phone: For general information, call 311. For detailed inquires, call (519) 255-6257 ext. 6359 or 6483.