The Property Inspection Unit accepts complaints regarding alleged violations of the Property Standards By-law, Standing Water By-law, and other by-laws enforced by this division.
To file a complaint, you must provide the following:
- Address of the property where the violation exists, or an exact description of the location of the property
- List of specific violations such as peeling paint, broken windows, etc. The Inspection Division will not respond to complaints with general accusations such as "this place is a dump" or "you just have to see it."
- Your name, address, and a telephone number where you can be contacted.
- Anonymous complaints will not be accepted.
Note: The name of the complainant is strictly confidential and will not be released to anyone without the complainant's written consent. All such requests shall be subject to the provisions as set out in the Freedom of Information Act (FOI).
To register a complaint:
- Call 311 or
- Visit 311 Online.
Note: Please do not fill out this form if you have already registered a complaint with 311.
When a complaint is made:
- Once a complaint is received and classified, it is assigned for investigation by an inspector.
- The inspector's prime responsibility is the inspection of construction projects for which building permits have been issued. Complaint investigations are performed as time permits, with the exception of those involving health and safety issues, which are investigated as a first priority.
- Substantive infractions are resolved through a combination of education, persuasion, and enforcement.
Council Services Department
350 City Hall Square West, Suite 530
Windsor, Ontario N9A 6S1
Phone: For general information, call 311. For detailed inquiries, call 519-255-6211.
Fax: (519) 255-6868