At Huron Lodge, we recognize that your health information deserves to be treated with respect and sensitivity. We are committed to protecting the privacy, confidentiality and security of your personal health information as part of our commitment to quality care and in accordance to Ontario's Personal Health Information Protection Act, 2004.
Our Information Practices
Huron Lodge collects, uses, discloses and stores information about you and your health. This information includes your contact information and the contact information of individuals who are authorized to act on your behalf, facts about your current and past health, and your Ontario Health card number. We limit the collection of information to only that which is required to provide care to you, and we use this information and share it only with those who are involved in your care. We have implemented measures to protect your personal health information and its use.
Unless you object, Huron Lodge will publicly display your name and/or room number throughout the Home, use your name and address as part of our fund-raising activities, disclose your name and location to a person representing your religious organization, and respond to inquiries from friends and families confirming your presence in the facility and information on your general health status.
Additionally, we will use and disclose your personal health information to:
- Make decisions about the type of health care services you need
- Provide you with health care
- Communicate with other health care service providers
- Monitor provision of health care services and evaluate your response to these services
- Administer health care services, implement strategic planning, quality control, research, teaching, risk management, and the allocation of resources within the organization
- Verify eligibility for payment by the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care
- Meet legal and regulatory requirements
At any time, you have the right to:
- Have access to, or receive a copy of your personal health information
- Request an amendment to your record (within defined guidelines)
- Request to withdraw your consent to use, collect, or disclose your personal health information
- Inquire about our privacy policies or register a complaint to the privacy officer about our information practices
How to Correct your Personal Health Information
If you have received a copy of your personal health information and feel it is inaccurate or incomplete for the purpose for which it is being used, you may make a written request to the Privacy Officer to correct the information. We will review your request and make a determination under the rules set out in the Personal Health Information Protection Act, 2004.
How to Contact Our Privacy Officer
Huron Lodge has appointed a Privacy Officer to oversee, monitor and report all privacy issues and concerns. If you have questions about our privacy policies or wish to discuss specific issues, please contact our Privacy Officer through our reception desk or by calling (519) 253-6060.
How to Contact the Information and Privacy Commissioner (Ontario)
If your concerns are not resolved by the Privacy Officer, or if you do not wish to deal with your concerns through our Privacy Officer, you may contact the Information and Privacy Commissioner appointed under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (Ontario):
- 2 Bloor Street East, Suite 1400,
TDD/TTY: (416) 326-7539
Fax: (416) 325-9195