Requesting Tax Information
- Current year property tax levy and assessment value are available for all City of Windsor properties via the Property Tax & Assessment e-service free of charge.
- If you are the owner of a property you may request verbal information relating to your property at no cost.
- You may also request a Statement of Account for a fee of $30.00. This charge will be added directly to your tax account.
- For requests regarding information from a previous year(s), a charge of $10.00 per year, per roll number applies. You must visit the tax office in person to make this request, and payment must be made before processing of the request can begin. If you are located out of town, you may mail your request along with a cheque for the proper amount. We will process the request and mail the information back to you.
- If you are calling from a company with which you are affiliated, we must have a completed "Letter of Authorization Form" on file, signed by the company owner, for you to make a request.
- If you are the owner of a property and you wish for someone other than yourself to be able to receive Property Tax/Assessment information on your behalf, we must have a completed “Letter of Authorization Form - 1” on file, signed by you, for the designated person.
- If you are affiliated with a company that owns property and you wish for a person or Agent acting on your behalf to be able to receive Property Tax/Assessment information and/or to be authorized to make decisions on your behalf and which are binding upon you, we must have a completed “Letter of Authorization Form - 2” on file, signed by you, for the designated person.
- Forward completed Letter of Authorization applications to the attention of the Property Assessor, Finance Department, 350 City Hall Square West, Suite 410, Windsor, Ontario, N9A 6S1.
Property Tax Receipts:
- Property tax receipts are generally requested when a property owner is being audited by Canada Revenue Agency.
- A fee of $30.00 per taxation year requested will be added to the property tax account to ensure payment for the receipt. The payment due date will be 21 days from the date of issue.
- Previous owners requesting a receipt must pay the $30.00 fee before processing can begin. Payment must be made by cheque only and can be made by mail along with the completed Property Tax Receipt Request Form. Please mail to Tax Collector, City of Windsor, Finance Department, P.O. Box 1607, Windsor, Ontario, N9A 6S1. You may also make your request in person at the Property Tax Office located at 350 City Hall Square West, 1st Floor Customer Service.
- Please allow three working days for processing.
- This receipt reflects all payments made against the property tax account in the calendar year indicated, including Interim Tax Bills, Final Tax Bills (includes Local Improvements and Business Improvement Area Levies) and Supplementary/Omit Billings.
- This receipt is not an indication of the persons making payment against the account. The City of Windsor is not privy to the tax liability as outlined in the “Statement of Adjustments” prepared by lawyers concerning the purchase/sale of the property.
- This receipt does not reflect any payments made towards interest/penalties or additional charges added to the tax account
- If you are paying through a mortgage company, the mortgage company will send you a statement at the end of each year.
- A penalty charged by legislation will be imposed on the first day of default and again on the first day of each month thereafter at the rate of 1.25% per month.
Public Information - Assessment Roll
- The City of Windsor Assessment Roll for the current year is available for public viewing in the Office of the City Clerk, 350 City Hall Square West, Suite 530. To view the roll, please attend in person during normal business hours, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday. The Assessment Roll lists all properties located in the City of Windsor, registered owners, and the assessed value of each property.
A Tax Certificate is a legal document that includes information such as legal description, current installments, local improvements and arrears, if any.
New: You can now request tax certificates online and pay with a credit card. The City of Windsor recently launched a new e-service to request tax certificates and property information reports online. The new functionality includes submitting your contact information, requesting the information and then paying for your order online by credit card. For more information on this service or to place an online order, please visit the e-services section of our website:
If you do not wish to order and pay online but wish to request a standard Tax Certificate, an expedited Tax Certificate or other property information:
To request a standard Tax Certificate
, please submit request using the Tax Certificate Order Form
noting the property address and roll number along with payment payable to “The City of Windsor” in the amount of $84.75 ($75.00 plus HST). Please allow 5 to 10 business days to process a standard Tax Certificate once the request and payment are received.
To request an expedited Tax Certificate
, please submit request using the Tax Certificate Order Form
noting the property address and roll number along with payment payable to “The City of Windsor” in the amount of $135.60 ($120.00 plus HST). An expedited Tax Certificate will be processed within 1 business day once the request and payment are received. A copy of the tax certificate will be emailed, and the original will be mailed via Canada Post.
If you require various letters, including a Tax Certificate, please submit your request using the Property Information Order Form available on our Property page.
Fax or email copies of requests will not be processed until such time as payment is received. Please note that "verbal" tax information may be provided for 30 days following certification date.
Please mail or courier your request to:
Attention: Tax Certificate Request
City of Windsor
350 City Hall Square West, Suite 410
Drop-off available - subject to facility closures: 350 City Hall Square West, 1st Floor, Customer Service Counter
To obtain Tax Levy information, legal description, and installment amounts on a property, you may sign up for our online look-up system, which allows you to look up any property at any time for a fee of $96.05 per look-up ($85 plus HST invoiced at the end of each month). If you wish to register for this online service, please download and read the External Tax Inquiry (ETI) Terms and Conditions.
If you agree to the Terms and Conditions, please complete the ETI online registration.
Real Estate Agents
- You may request the Tax Levy only. This information can only be provided verbally.
Phone: Call 311 for general information.