If you are an eligible elector, you may appoint another person to vote on your behalf. This person is known as a “Proxy” voter. This person must be a qualified elector and someone you trust (The voters' list will be checked for this purpose). You cannot appoint more than one voting proxy or act as a voting proxy for more than one other person. However, this restriction does not apply if the proxy and the other person are spouses or siblings of each other, parent and child, or grandparent and grandchild.
You may obtain a Form 3 - Appointment of Voting Proxy at 350 City Hall Square West (go to Reception Desk on the 1st Floor) beginning Wednesday, August 1, 2018 during normal business hours, Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. City Hall will also be open on Saturday, October 6 and Saturday, October 13 for the purpose of obtaining and certifying proxy certificates between the hours of 12 noon and 5:00 p.m.
Box A on the form will be completed at the time you obtain the proxy certificate from the City Clerk. The person you appoint as a proxy must then bring in the proxy certificate with your signature on it, show proof of their identity, and have it certified by the City Clerk at City Hall. You cannot appoint a proxy before July 31 once all candidates have been certified by the City Clerk.
Please note that Election Officials at the voting station will not accept uncertified, faxed or photocopied proxy certificates at the voting place.
The following rules apply to the issuance of Proxy Certificates:
- Individuals may obtain a proxy certificate by checking in with the receptionist on the 1st floor Lobby, 350 City Hall Square West, beginning Wednesday, August 1, 2018.
- At that time, Box A on the form (elector making the appointment) will be completed by election staff along with the Form EL54 Register of Proxy Appointments showing the name of the elector making the appointment.
- If the proxy certificate is mailed out, at a minimum, Box A on the form will be completed by election’s staff at the time of the mail out.
The name of the person appointed as the voting proxy must be filled in on the form at the time it is signed by the elector who is appointing the proxy.
The proxy certificate must be completed at the Office of the City Clerk where the elector appointed will take the declaration.
- The proxy certificate will be officially certified by the City Clerk or designate.
- The “EL54 Register of Proxy Appointments” will be completed at the time when the form is brought to the Office of the City Clerk to be certified.
- The proxy certificate is a public document and may be inspected by any person during the election process.
- The appointment does not remain in effect after Voting Day of the 2018 election.
Office of the City Clerk
Suite 530, 350 City Hall Square West
Phone: For general election information, call 311. For detailed election inquiries, please call (519) 255-6285
Fax: (519) 255-6868