Commissioner of Oaths
The Council Services Department provides the services of a Commissioner of Oaths. The Commissioner of Oaths is a person who is appointed under the Commissioners of Affidavits Act to administer oaths and take affidavits, declarations and affirmations.
This can be done on the fifth floor of Windsor City Hall, 350 City Hall Square West, Suite 530. The cost for commissioning a document is $10.00.
A Commissioner of Oaths can:
A Commissioner of Oaths cannot:
Verify signatures, marks and copies of documents
Certify and attest a true copy of a document
Witness or certify and attest the execution of a document
Give legal advice
For additional information, or to book an appointment, please call 519-255-6100 ext. 6139.
Documents witnessed/signed by a Commissioner of Oaths include the following (fees may apply):
A Commissioner of Oaths cannot witness/sign the following:
Certified True Copies
- Wills, “Living Wills,” Codicils to Wills or Estate Settlement documents
- Real Estate documents
- Court, Legal, or Civil issue related documents
- Power of Attorney
- Divorce, Separation, Marriage or Cohabitation documents and/or agreements
- Custody documents
- Documents related to debt
- Declaration of Claimant and Indemnity
- Declaration for Replacement of Shares
- Statutory Declaration of Progress Payment Distribution – Holdback Security Deposits
- Tender documents
- Declaration of a Translator
- BYID Card Application (Age of Majority Card)
- Ontario Mortgage Corporation documents
- Affidavits required for Landlord and Tenant Board
- Land Transfer documents
- Mining Claim Forms/Transfers/Duplicate Prospector Licence Applications
- Statutory Declaration of Lost Identification
A Notary Public is a person who is authorized under the Notaries Act to commission documents, to certify or notarize documents as true copies and to verify signatures. The City of Windsor does not offer notary services.
A Notary Public can:
- Provide all the same services as a Commissioner of Oaths
- Verify signatures, marks and copies of documents
- Certify and attest a true copy of a document
- Witness or certify and attest the execution of a document
A Notary Public cannot:
Council Services Department
Suite 530 - 350 City Hall Square West
For detailed and general inquiries, contact 519-255-6100 ext. 6139.