311 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

How will police, fire or medical emergency calls be handled?

  • In the case of police, fire or medical emergencies, the caller will be advised to hang up and call 911. We are not able to transfer calls to 911 because transfers prevent the 911 system from being able to track the original caller's location. If the individual is calling after hours, an automated message will advise them to call 911 in the case of a police, fire or medical emergency.

Do I have to provide my personal information to submit a service request through 311?

  • Depending on the concern, some City of Windsor services may require valid name and contact information in order to initiate the request. Some requests allow for anonymous submissions, but if valid contact information is not provided, it may limit the department's ability to effectively respond to the request (for example, obtaining more specific details to fulfill the request). In addition, anonymous submissions will not be entitled to follow-up when calling 311, as user identity cannot be confirmed.
  • If you provide your email address at time of submission, you will receive an automated confirmation email with your service request number. If a phone number is provided, the City may contact you for more information regarding your request.
  • Valid contact information is required in order to follow up on the status of your request when calling 311.
  • Personal information is collected by 311 under section 10(1) of the Municipal Act and will be used for the purpose of processing your call at the contact centre. All personal information is protected under the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. Questions about this collection may be directed to the Supervisor, 311 Contact Centre. Learn more at the Information & Privacy Commissioner of Ontario website.

Is the call a free cell phone call?

  • Calls to 311 are regular billable calls.

Can someone only call from inside the city boundaries?

  • Callers can access the contact centre by dialling 311 if they are within the city's boundaries. However, callers outside the city can access the same contact centre by dialling 519-255-CITY(2489).

I'm in Windsor, so why do I just get a beeping signal when I dial 311?

  • If your business has its own phone switch or is part of a building that has its own switch, your telephone service provider must program the switch to recognize 311 as a valid number. If this is not feasible, you can also reach the 311 contact centre by dialing 519-255-CITY(2489).

Are 311 calls monitored?

Is 311 accessible to callers with limited knowledge of English?

  • Yes. The City subscribes to an over-the-phone language interpretation service through Language Line Solutions, providing access to over 200 languages.

How can I access 311 services?

  • You can reach 311 by the following methods:
    • Call 311 or 519-255-CITY(2489)
    • Mobile App: Download for free from Google Play or Apple App stores.
    • Text 311
    • Email 311@citywindsor.ca
    • Online www.311online.ca
    • Bell Relay Service is available to assist in placing a call from customers who use a TTY/teletypewriter. For TTY, type 711 for the operator, and by telephone, dial 1-800-855-0511.

Does the City assist with accessible formats or communication supports if needed?

  • The Corporation of the City of Windsor will, upon request, provide or arrange for the provision of accessible formats and communication supports for persons with disabilities. It will consult with the person making the request in determining the suitability of an accessible format or communication support. It will provide the agreed-upon accessible formats and communication supports:
    • (a) in a timely manner that takes into account the person's accessibility needs due to disability; and
    • (b) at a cost that is no more than the regular cost charged to other persons.
  • For detailed inquiries on accessibility or for accessible formats or communication supports, please contact:
    • Mark Keeler
      Accessibility & Diversity Officer
      400 City Hall Square East, Suite 408
      Windsor, Ontario
      N9A 7K6
      Email: MKeeler@citywindsor.ca
      Phone: 519-255-6100 ext. 6602