Property Owner's Responsibility
It is the responsibility of every owner to maintain their property in a condition that will meet or exceed the minimum standards outlined in this legislation. Standards in this legislation include but are not limited to the following standards for all properties; supplementary standards for non-residential properties; and residential properties.
- Exterior property areas - parking lots - surface, drainage, paving, dust control
- Fence By-law
- Signs By-law
- Yards (waste issues or long grass), lot grading - insects, rodents
- Structural capacity - fire and storm damage - demolition
- Foundations, walls, columns, beams
- Doors, windows, exterior finishes
- Ventilation - heating
- Stairs, floors, landings, exits, porches
- Decks, balconies
- Roofs, roof structures
- Plumbing - sewers, discharge
- Abandoned vehicles, machinery, storage of items
- Nuisances and unsafe conditions
- Barrier Free requirements
You may view the Property Standards By-law 147-2011 (see Building By-laws) for a more detailed list and explanation of Enforcement.
350 City Hall Square West, Suite 210
P. O. Box 1607
Phone: For general information, call 311.