Child and Spousal Support

Child and Spousal Support on Ontario Works

Child Support

Any amount collected for child support is exempt income under Ontario Works, and individuals will be able to keep the full amount of child support.

Spousal Support

Spousal support is considered income under Ontario Works and will be deducted from the amount received under Ontario Works.

Help Pursuing Child or Spousal Support

There are many community organizations who can help individuals pursue child and/or spousal support, whether it’s for a new claim or a change to an existing court order.

The first point of contact should be one of the following organizations:

Bridging Family Conflict

Bridging Family Conflict provides free mediation and information services for family law matters in Windsor and Essex County at local courthouses, and subsidized rates for mediation outside of the courthouse.

Telephone: 519-946-0808

Address: 3231 Tecumseh Road East, Windsor, Ontario, N8W 1H2

Community Legal Aid

Community Legal Aid provides family law services related to child support and spousal support, and represents parties interested in mediation, separation agreements and matters only before the Ontario Court of Justice.

Telephone: 519-253-7150
Website: Community Legal Aid
Address: 443 Ouellette Avenue, Windsor, Ontario, N9A 4J2
For general information, please visit Steps to Justice.

Legal Aid Ontario

Legal Aid Ontario promotes access to justice throughout Ontario for low-income individuals by providing consistent, high quality legal aid services in a cost-effective and efficient manner.

Telephone: 1-800-668-8258
Website: Legal Aid Ontario
Address: 185 City Hall Square South, Windsor, Ontario, N9A 6W5

Court Order Not in Pay

If a court order is not in pay, the Family Responsibility Office (FRO) will collect, distribute and enforce court-ordered child and spousal support payments.

Telephone: 1-800-267-7263
Website: Family Responsibility Office