In 1963, Straith Park was named in honour of Catherine M. Straith, a former Ward Four Alderperson in Windsor. However, many area residents still referred to the site as Riverview Park, a name the park acquired because of its location overlooking the Detroit River. The City purchased the park site in 1917, and it immediately became the only City‑owned park south of Sandwich Street (Riverside Drive) overlooking the Detroit River. Although early records indicate that the site was informally known as Riverview Park prior to the turn of the century, the City did not formally look into the prospect of acquiring the property until 1913. Four years and $21,570 later, the transaction was complete.
Today, Straith Park is a popular spot for both parents and young children. At just over two acres, the park contains a tot lot and a playground for older children. There is a mix of mature and young trees on the site to provide natural shade around the play equipment.