George Avenue Park was purchased in 1925 from the estates of both the Henkel and Lacroix families. Together, these two acquisitions were developed into parkland in 1927. Financing was provided through a 40‑year debenture issue of $140,000, although much of this money was used to acquire and develop other park sites within the city.
George Avenue Park was equipped with both junior and senior swing sets and a play unit was installed in 1990. For a number of years, the park also provided facilities for hardball and softball. A portion of George Avenue Park was sold to Windsor Utilities in 2016 for the installation of a water reservoir. The remaining portion of the park was redeveloped to include new accessible play equipment, a parking lot, shelter, a sports court and walking trails.