Emergency Rent and Utility Assistance

Emergency Rental Assistance Program

One-time financial assistance may be provided to eligible applicants to pay rental arrears to avoid eviction or to pay for first or last month's rent to secure affordable housing. This program is also known as the Housing Stability Plan (HSP).

You may be eligible for rental assistance if ...

  • You are a resident of Windsor or Essex County
  • You are in receipt of Ontario Works (OW) or Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP), or meet the income criteria noted in the chart below
  • You have not received rent assistance in the past 2 years 
  • Your housing costs (rent, utilities, insurance) are less than 65% of your gross household income 
  • You are in rental arrears that do not exceed two (2) months
  • You have been issued an eviction notice 
  • You have resided at the address for a minimum of one (1) year
  • You have a documented need to relocate (e.g., victim of violence, uninhabitable premises, recently discharged from an institution) 

How much rental assistance may I be eligible for?

Number of Bedrooms
Maximum Assistance Per Month
Maximum Annual Household Income
1 Bedroom
2 Bedrooms
3 Bedrooms
4 or more Bedrooms

Maximum household income is determined by the 2024 Maximum Household Limits (HILS); and the maximum assistance per month has been determined by the 2022 Approved Alternate Average Maximum Market Rent by Unit Size.

How can I apply for rent assistance?

Ontario Works (OW) and Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) recipients can apply by contacting their caseworker.

OW: (519) 255-5200

ODSP: (519) 254-1651

All other applicants can apply by calling (519) 255-5200 ext. 5294.

Emergency Utility Assistance

Keep the Heat is a program that provides funding for heat and energy for people experiencing financial difficulties and who have received a notice of termination of heating utilities. For information on Keep the Heat or to apply today, please visit their website: Keep The Heat.