Yard waste is collected in the spring, summer and fall with one yard waste collection in January for your Christmas trees and any yard waste left over from the fall. Yard waste is collected thirteen times per year. Four collections in the spring (April and May), four collections in the summer (June, July, August and September) and four collections in the fall (October, November and December) with an additional yard waste and Christmas tree collection in January. Your yard waste collection days are identified in your waste collection calendar with a symbol of a paper bag. If you did not receive a waste collection in the calendar in the mail, please call 311.
Basic Collection Requirements:
- Yard waste should be placed at the curb prior to 6:00 a.m. on your scheduled collection day.
- Collection can occur anytime between 6:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m. on your scheduled collection day.
- Your scheduled yard waste collection day is identified in the calendar by the paper bag symbol.
- Do not set out yard waste prior to 6:00 p.m. on the day before your scheduled collection.
- To increase collection efficiency, please put yard waste at a common location with an adjacent neighbour, away from parked cars.
- All filled containers must be under 20 kilograms (44 pounds), except for Herby Curby wheeled containers.
- Grass clippings are not collected from June thru September.
Yard Waste Preparation:
- Leaves: mow or mulch leaves prior to putting them in an acceptable container - three containers worth will now fit into one!
- Do not rake leaves onto the road. This is unlawful and creates a dangerous road condition.
- Boost nutrients and moisture retaining capability and choke out weeds by spreading leaves over your lawn to quickly decompose. Dig them directly into your garden.
- In the fall, spread leaf mulch on gardens and around shrubs and trees as winter protection.
- Branches, brush and tree/hedge trimmings: cut in 4-foot lengths and bundle securely Tree branches should not exceed 3 inches (7.5 centimetres) in diameter. Do not use wire to tie bundles. Thorny branches should be placed in boxes, pails or Yard Waste bags.
- Tree Stumps: Stumps of any size can be brought to the Public Drop Off Depot for disposal.
- Grass Clippings are only collected in the spring and fall. Clippings must be dried and put in garbage cans. Grass clippings can be brought to the Public Drop Off Depot where a tipping fee will be applied. $3.00 per container/$15.00 per truck or trailer. Commercial rate is $51.00 per tonne.
- Do not put grass clippings in paper bags, as the moisture will rot the bottom of the bag.
- Try grass-cycling and composting instead of setting clippings out for collection.
- Any load of yard waste or organics delivered to the Public Drop Off in a rental vehicle or trailer, or a vehicle with dealer plates will be assessed a fee at the commercial rate of $5.10 per 100 kilograms for organics (minimum $5.10 charge applies).
Acceptable Yard Waste Containers:
- Paper yard waste bags
- Garbage cans (125 litre)
- Cardboard boxes
- Roll-out Carts (see Garbage Containers for info on acceptable roll-out cart containers)
Do not use plastic bags for yard waste. They will not be collected.
Public Works, Environmental Division
3540 North Service Road East
Phone: For general information, call 311. For detailed inquiries, call 519-974-2277 ext. 3121.