Red Box - Paper Recycling
All Paper Products:
Place these items loose in the Red Box. Please remove all wrappers and plastic coverings from the newspaper. See our Recycling Brochure.
- Newspaper: Newspapers, junk mail, inserts and flyers. Place loose in your red box. Please remove any plastic inserts and wraps.
- Magazines, catalogues, and telephone books: Magazines, catalogues, telephone books, paperback books and hardcover books. Remove cover from hardcover books and discard. Place all materials loose in your Red Box.
- Shredded paper: Place shredded paper in a cardboard box. Cardboard boxes cannot weigh more than 20 kg/44 lbs. and must be securely closed. Smaller amounts of shredded paper can be placed in paper grocery bags. Do not put loose shredded paper in your red box as the material will blow out of the box, creating a littering problem in your neighbourhood.
- Mixed paper and junk mail: Cereal, pasta, cookie, laundry detergent, tissue and shoe boxes. Pet food bags, sugar and flour bags, brown paper bags, toilet/paper towel tubes. Office paper, envelopes, paper egg trays, gift cards, gift wrap, disposable paper drink cups, etc. Flatten boxes and place in a paper bag, cardboard box or loose in your Red Box. Remove any plastic inserts or plastic wrap.
- Cardboard: Cardboard boxes, shipping or moving boxes, clean pizza boxes, etc. Stack smaller boxes inside larger boxes. Break down larger boxes into bundles weighing less than 20 kg/44 lbs. (76 cm X 76 cm X 1 metre). Cardboard boxes can also be used as yard waste containers. You must break down large appliance boxes.
- Please place your Red Box at the curb prior to 6:00 a.m. on your scheduled collection days. Call 311 if you require a collection calendar, or view your collection calendar online.
- Red Boxes will not be collected in alleyways.
- Paper only in your Red Box! - No containers or other products.
Have a large quantity of cardboard? Call (519) 974-1010 to arrange for a special collection. Recycling, including cardboard boxes can be brought to the Public Drop Off Depot for free.
If you are holding a special event and wish recycling services, please contact Essex Windsor Solid Waste Authority at 519-776-6441 ext. 1395 to arrange for this free service or download the Special Event Requisition Form and fax to 519-776-6370.
Public Works, Environmental Division
3540 North Service Road East
Phone: For general information, call 311. For detailed inquiries, call (519) 974-1010
Fax: (519) 944-3161