Unacceptable Materials for Garbage Collection:
- Newspapers, pop cans and cardboard are not garbage and should be placed at the curb on recycling days.
- Leaves and other yard waste are not garbage and must be placed at the curb on yard waste days.
These materials are also "not garbage" and will not be collected:
- Grass clippings are collected with yard waste in spring and fall only. Grass clippings are not collected in the summer - see your collection calendar. Grass clippings are charged a fee at the Public Drop Off Depot.
- Dirt, concrete and bricks
- Animal waste - bury in your back yard.
- Renovation debris - bring to the Public Drop Off Depot.
- Mattresses and furniture - bring to the Public Drop Off Depot.
- Refrigerators, freezers, window air conditioners or dehumidifiers - bring to the Public Drop Off Depot. A fee of $17.00 is charged.
- Metal items - bring to the Public Drop Off Depot free of charge.
- Railway ties - bring to the Public Drop Off Depot for disposal. Maximum of 6 can be dropped off at any one time
- Motor oil - free motor oil disposal at the Public Drop Off Depot or return your used oil to the merchant that you purchased your new oil from.
- Tires - free tire disposal at the Public Drop Off Depot - 8 tires or less annually, without the rim. Charges apply after 8 tire maximum is reached
- Electronics - bring to the Public Drop Off Depot for free.
- Chemical waste, paint products, propane tanks - bring to the Household Chemical Waste Depot
- Asbestos, radioactive, biomedical and unidentified chemical waste are not accepted at the Public Drop Off Depot.
- Syringes and medical waste. (see your local pharmacist for a sharps container). Never put sharps and syringes in your garbage. For more information please, see Ontario Sharps Collection Program.
- Loose ashes and sawdust - wet material down and place in a cardboard box weighing under 40 pounds, clearly marked "sawdust" and place out for your regular garbage collection.
Public Works, Environmental Division
3540 North Service Road East
Phone: For general information, call 311. For detailed inquiries, call 519-974-1010