Household Chemical Waste
- The Household Chemical Waste (HCW) Depot is located at E.C. Row and Central, at the same location as the Public Drop Off Depot.
Hours of Operation: (Note: hours are subject to change)
Monday, December 4, 2017 to Saturday, March 31, 2018:
- Monday to Friday - 8:30 a.m. to 3:45 p.m.
- Saturday - 9:00 a.m. to 12:45 p.m.
- Closed on Sunday and most statutory holidays.
Spring, Summer and Fall Hours:
Monday April 3, 2017 to Saturday, December 2, 2017
- Monday to Saturday - 8:00 a.m. to 4:45 p.m.
- Closed on Sunday and most statutory holidays (open on Canada Day and Remembrance Day)
- Hazardous waste should never be thrown in the garbage or flushed down the sink, toilet, or storm sewer. Just drop it off at the Household Chemical Waste building at 3540 North Service Road. Free for residential customers.
- The Reuse Centre has products that are used, but "not used up." Pick up most of these products free of charge. There is a $5.00 charge for a 20-litre pail of paint.
Dropping Off at the Depot
Free for Residential Customers:
Most of these products can be dropped off free of charge for residential customers only. Customers are restricted to two (2) twenty (20) litre pails (40 litres in total) of household chemical waste (e.g. paint, solvent, stain, adhesives, etc.) for any one trip. Customers with more than two 20-litre pails will be considered commercial and will be billed accordingly. Commercial customers are assessed a fee. Please call the Essex Windsor Solid Waste Authority 1-800-563-3377 for commercial fees.
- Paint: latex paint, paint additives, paint strippers, paint thinners, primers, stains, turpentine, varnish and shellac
- Fuels: gasoline, lighter fluid, kerosene, propane tanks and cylinders
- Home repair: pool chemicals, epoxies, glues, adhesives, driveway sealer, cleaners
- Pesticides: fungicides, herbicides and insecticides, week killers
- Automotive: antifreeze, brake fluid, motor oil, batteries
- Miscellaneous: thermometers, thermostats, pool chemicals, batteries, wood preservatives, cooking oil, fire extinguishers, aerosols
- Fluorescent/LED light bulbs: no charge for residential customers (under 20 bulbs) You must call ahead if bringing in large quantities or if you are a commercial customer (fees apply). Call 1-800-265-9625.
- Miscellaneous light bulbs: no charge for residential customers. The HCW building takes various varieties of light bulbs. If you are unsure, please call 1-800-265-9625.
- Light fixtures, light fixtures with ballasts, and ballasts: customers are restricted to (2) two light fixtures on any one trip. Customers bringing more than two light fixtures on any one trip will be considered commercial and will be billed accordingly.
- PCB ballasts: The Household Chemical Waste Depot does not accept ballast with PCB. Customers should contact the Ministry of the Environment for disposal options.
- Acetylene tanks: The Household Chemical Waste Depot does not accept acetylene tanks. Take them back to where you purchased them.
The following charges apply:
- Cooking oil - 20-litre pail, no charge (limit two pails)
- Reuse centre - $5.00 per 20-litre pail of paint
- Charges apply to all incoming 45-gallon drums of material (commercial and residential)
Prior to attending the site, you must contact the facility at 1-800-265-9625 to determine the type, quantity and cost for materials.
This facility is managed by the Essex-Windsor Solid Waste Authority (EWSWA). All comments, suggestions and/or complaints regarding the facility and/or fees should be forwarded to:
- Essex-Windsor Solid Waste Authority, 519-776-6441, 1-800-563-3377, fax 519-776-6370, www.ewswa.org, or by mail:
- 360 Fairview Avenue West, Suite 211, Essex, Ontario, Canada, N8M 3G4.
Public Works, Environmental Division
3540 North Service Road East
Phone: For general information, call 311. For detailed inquiries, call EWSWA at 519-776-6441 or 1-800-563-3377.