Walter Allward, and/or John Scott & Co., People of the County of Essex, Ontario
Boer War Monument, 1906
Limestone, bronze, 147 x 902 x 250 centimetres
This memorial fountain was originally outside a post office and moved to Jackson Park in 1932. Upon the extension of Ouellette Avenue in 1961, it was moved again to its current location on the south edge of the sunken garden.
Sources indicate that the Boer War Monument in Jackson Park was designed by either Canadian sculptor Walter Allward or Detroit architectural firm John Scott & Co. Collaboration between Allward and John Scott & Co. is also a possibility.
Bronze plaque inscription, east face:
In honour of the
who served as soldiers of the
during the war in
South Africa. A.D. 1899-1902.
Erected by the people of
the country of Essex, Ontario
Bronze plaque inscription, west face:
Inscribed on this tablet
are the names of the volunteers, residents of the County of Essex,
who served in the British Army, during the war in South Africa.
A.D. 1899 - 1902
First Contingent, Special Service Battalion,
Royal Canadian Regiment of Infantry.
Second Contingent, 1st Battalion, Canadian Mounted Rifles.
Third Contingent, 2nd, 3rd, 4th Battalions.
Canadian Mounted Rifles, and S.A.Constabulary.