Accessibility Feedback and Requests for Alternate Format Documents and Communication Supports
The City of Windsor welcomes any feedback on the provision of goods and services to customers with disabilities. Customers may also request public documents (including emergency procedures, plans or public safety documents) in alternate and accessible formats or with appropriate communication supports, to be provided as soon as practicable upon receipt of the request. It will consult with the person making the request in determining the suitability of an accessible format or communication support. It will provide the agreed-upon accessible formats and communication supports:
(a) in a timely manner that takes into account the person’s accessibility needs due to disability; and
(b) at a cost that is no more than the regular cost charged to other persons.
Requests for accessible alternate formats and communication supports
The City of Windsor will provide a document or information contained within a document in a format that takes into account the person’s disability. Requests will be honoured in the most practical manner, depending on the media chosen; the size and complexity of the document; the quality and source of the documents; the feasibility of the request; and the number of documents to be converted. These factors will also influence the amount of time necessary to process a request. If it is determined that the format requested is not feasible, then alternative methods of providing the information should be explored to satisfy the customer’s needs.
Accessible alternate formats and communication supports will be provided within a reasonable time frame depending upon the request. Best efforts will be used to provide alternate formats within 10 business days of the request being made once the document is available. Some requests may require more than 10 business days given the nature of the request. Some document formats require time to process, and last-minute requests may not be feasible.
Customers may provide feedback or request alternate format documents by the following methods:
Accessible formats and communications supports are available with respect to the feedback process. For more information and/or assistance please contact the diversity and accessibility officer (contact information below).
- Call: 311 in Windsor or alternate 519-255-CITY(2489) if outside Windsor or unable to access three-digit dialling.
- Bell Relay Service (TTY/Teletypewriter): Type 711 for the operator or dial 1-800-855-0511.
- Cogeco IP Relay Service (allows hearing and/or speech-impaired individuals to place text-based relay calls from their personal computer): Register/login at iprelay.cogeco.com. (You will need to have a valid Cogeco home phone number.)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Internet: visit 311 Online and select either "Accessible Alternate Format Document Request" or "Accessible Customer Service Feedback."
- Text directly to 311 (data charges may apply)
311 Customer Contact Centre
P.O. Box 1607
Windsor, Ontario N9A 6S1
Complimentary, on-the-spot Video Remote Interpreting terminals (including ASL interpreting) are available at several of our customer service counters. They are usually at the following locations, but they can be transported to another location if needed:
- 350 City Hall Square West customer service counter
- Human Resources (Suite 408, 400 City Hall Square East)
- Huron Lodge
- Windsor Public Library, Central Branch (185 Ouellette Avenue)
- Windsor International Transit Terminal (300 Chatham Street West)
Please confirm availability at the location you require prior to attending to ensure it is ready upon your arrival.
If you require an in-person ASL interpreter please contact the diversity and accessibility officer so it can be arranged at the earliest opportunity.
Phone: 519-255-6515, ext. 6601