Damage Claim Form

If you have suffered a loss to your property or your vehicle, we suggest that you contact your insurance company. If your insurer believes that the City is responsible for your damage, your insurer may seek compensation on your behalf as stipulated in your insurance policy.

If you have suffered a loss for which you feel the City is responsible, you may submit a Damage Claim Form, or any other form of written notice setting out the incident date, time, location and any other loss details relating to your claim.

Claims should be submitted as soon as possible to Council Services (350 City Hall Square West), or a customer care centre. It is a requirement under the Municipal Act, 2001 that the City Clerk be given written notice of claims relating to highway (including sidewalk) and bridge maintenance within ten (10) days after the occurrence of the injury. Completing the online Damage Claim Form and receiving confirmation of your submission will constitute written notice. Alternatively, notice may be given in person or sent by registered mail to:

  • Council Services Department, Attn. City Clerk
    P.O. Box 1607, 350 City Hall Square, Room 530
    Windsor, ON N9A 6S1

Once a claim is received, Council Services processes the claim administratively and forwards it to the Risk Management Division for review and assessment.

The Risk Management Division will aim to contact you within ten (10) business days.

If you do not receive a confirmation card or acknowledgment letter from the Risk Management Division within approximately ten (10) business days after submitting the claim, you may contact the Risk Management Division directly.

Please be advised the City will not be held responsible to pay for your loss unless you can prove the City has committed a negligent act or omission which resulted in injury or damage. The City of Windsor only compensates claimants when it is legally liable for the damage sustained. This approach helps to reduce costs for the taxpaying public, who ultimately bear the cost of these claims.

Risk Management will investigate your claim and will contact you.

For general information, call 311. For specific inquiries regarding submitting a damage claim, call:

Council Services Department
Phone: (519) 255-6100 ext. 6285

Fax: (519) 255-6868

For specific information regarding the status of your previously submitted damage claim, call:

Risk Management Division
Phone:(519) 255-6100 ext. 6148