Update: Important Information about Ontario Works Cheques and Cards
As a labour disruption at Canada Post appears to have been avoided for the time being, the City of Windsor will now resume mailing all Ontario Works cheques, cheque statements and direct bank deposit statements to recipients. This includes Ontario drug benefit cards and dental cards.
Recipients who receive payments through direct bank deposit will continue to do so.
For more information, recipients can contact their caseworker or call the Interactive Voice Response System at 1-800-808-2268.
Information contained herein pertains to Ontario Works payments only.
The Ontario Works Act, through the Province of Ontario's Ministry of Community and Social Services provides the framework for the provision of employment and basic financial assistance to persons in need. The City of Windsor's Employment and Social Services Department delivers Ontario Works to residents of Windsor and Essex County.
There are two options available to those who need to apply for Ontario Works assistance:
- Online at www.ontario.ca/socialassistance ~ The website provides instructions on how to complete the application and also outlines the information needed. The appointment scheduling feature allows you to suggest dates and times you are available to attend a verification interview (VI). Once the application is screened and uploaded, one of our intake service representatives will contact you to confirm your VI appointment. Depending on the number of applications received, you will receive a call back the same or next business day. Note: A call-back telephone number is required in order for us to provide you with the VI appointment details. If no call-back telephone number is provided, you will need to contact our intake unit at 519-255-5600 (please see Item 2 below for office hours) to obtain your appointment time along with additional details pertaining to your appointment. If after 5 days we are unable to contact you, a new application will need to be completed online or by telephone; OR
- Our intake unit is available by phone at 519-255-5600, Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:30 and 11:30 am or 1:00 and 4:00 pm. When you call, a brief application will be taken and a time set up for you to meet with a caseworker to finalize the application (verification interview). Please have the following information available when you call:
- Social Insurance Number
- Ontario health card number
- Relevant immigration papers, if applicable
- Rental or mortgage information
- Income information such as earnings, pensions and support
- All banking and investment information
Recipients of Ontario Works may access information pertaining to their assistance by phoning 1-800-808-2268.
call 311 for general information. For detailed inquiries, call (519) 255-5200.
Fax: (519) 255-1011 or (519) 255-1503
call (519) 946-9988.
Fax: (519) 322-3529 or toll free at 1-866-763-1222
Drop off at Customer Care Centres
Required documents or letters can be dropped off at any of the Customer Care Centres located in the various wards of the city. Please visit our Customer Care Centres page for a listing of participating locations and hours of operation.