Who Can Apply?
- Any resident of the City of Windsor or County of Essex may apply for Ontario Works assistance through the City of Windsor Employment and Social Services Department.
How to Apply?
- By phone - To start the application process call the intake unit at 519 255-5600, Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:30 to 11:30 am and 1:00 to 4:00 pm;
- Online - The online application is available 24 hours a day in English and French from any computer with internet access. The online application will take approximately 40 minutes to complete.
If you do not have a telephone or a computer with internet access, you can come to one of our locations, either in Windsor or Leamington, where you may be given access:
400 City Hall Square East
Windsor, Ontario N9A 7K6
215 Talbot Street East
Leamington, Ontario N8H 3X5
The online application for Ontario Works allows residents of Ontario to:
- Find out if they might be eligible for assistance; and
- Start the application process.
Note: The City of Windsor Employment and Social Services Department does not currently offer the option to schedule your own in-office appointment. Therefore, if you choose to apply for Ontario Works online you must provide a telephone call-back number. An intake service representative will call you at that number and confirm the date, time and location of your in-office appointment, as well as any other special instructions needed to finalize your application.
Whether completing the online application or phoning our intake unit, you will need specific information about you and the family members in your household.
To find out if you may be eligible for any programs, you will need:
- The names of all family members
- Dates of birth for all family members
- Immigration status of all family members
- Income for all family members
- Assets for all family members
- Your address
- Your housing costs
- Cost of expenses (e.g. child care, disability related work expenses, etc.)
It would also be helpful if you had the Social Insurance Numbers and Ontario Health Card numbers for all family members in your household.
To complete the full online application, you will need information from other documents, such as:
- Birth certificates
- Immigration papers
- Tax returns
Please review the full list of documents you will need.
All information provided for the application is confidential as per the Municipal Freedom of Information Act. At any time, a choice may be made to discontinue the application process.
At the end of the application, the system will determine potential eligibility in accordance with the Ontario Works Act.
In Windsor call 311 for general information. For detailed inquiries call (519) 255-5200.
Fax: (519) 255-1011 or (519) 255-1503
In Leamington call (519) 946-9988
Fax: (519) 322-3529 or toll free at 1-866-763-1222
Drop off at Customer Care Centres:
Required documents or letters can be dropped off at any of the Customer Care Centres located in the various wards of the city. Please visit our Customer Care Centres page for a listing of participating locations and hours of operation.