Winter Control Levels of Service
- For more information, call 311.
- During and after heavy snowfalls, please visit the Newsroom for updates.
- Main routes are salted and/or ploughed once snow begins to fall and accumulate.
- There are currently 21 main salt/plough routes consisting of roads classified as Expressway, Arterial, and Collector as defined by the City of Windsor Official Plan. These routes also include fire/hospital emergency routes and Transit Windsor bus routes.
- If accumulation exceeds 5 centimetres (2 inches) during a snowfall, salting may cease temporarily and ploughing be utilized as appropriate for the conditions.
- Also, if the temperature is below -12°C (10°F) during a snowfall, salt begins to lose its effectiveness, and depending upon the snow accumulation, salting may cease temporarily and ploughing be utilized as appropriate for the conditions.
- The average cost for Winter Control on main routes during the normal workday is $12,000 per hour.
- Streets are salted and/or ploughed in the vicinity of schools during the normal workday once main routes have been cleared.
- Intersections are salted and/or ploughed when conditions warrant. (Average time/cost for all intersections: 8 hours - $96,000).
- Residential streets are ploughed when accumulation exceeds 10 centimetres (4 inches), once main routes have been cleared. (Average time/cost for all streets: 24 hours - $300,000).
- In order to allow for a more efficient residential snow plough operation and to avoid cars from being ploughed in, the City recommends that residents remove their parked cars from roadways until they are cleared.
- Snow is cleared during the normal workday from overpasses, underpasses, and City owned sidewalks (see Sidewalk Snow Removal Map).
- If accumulation exceeded 15 centimetres (6 inches) and all roadways have been cleared, bus stops identified by Transit Windsor as a priority will be cleared.
- Service levels may be amended as conditions require.
- Removal of major accumulations of snow along curbs in business areas may be considered as conditions require.
- Inquiries regarding the enforcement of the snow clearing by-law on City sidewalks are handled by By-law Enforcement Officers, Corporate Services. Visit By-laws Online for access to the Snow Removal By-law #8544.
1531 Crawford Avenue
Hours of Operation: 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Phone: For general information, call 311. For detailed inquiries, call (519) 255-6326.