Family Aquatic Complex
401 Pitt Street West
The City of Windsor is constructing a signature family aquatic complex that can accommodate both 50-metre and 25-metre events, along with a diving well and a family water park.
Construction continues on schedule for the competitive pool to be completed for the 2013 International Children's Games. Concept drawings for the competitive pool are now available.
Designs for Aquatic Play Area
The Weber Group presented concept drawings for the aquatic play area within the new complex. The designs expand on the nautical theme with stylized sea creatures, sand dollars, palm trees and fabric sails.
The Aquatic Play Area is expected to open in December 2013.
New Home for Local Sports Hall of Fame
Windsor / Essex County Sports Hall of Fame (WECSHOF) will have its permanent home in the Family Aquatic Complex. The Sports Hall of Fame will honour local athletes with digital displays, sports artifacts and renderings of its 186 honoured members. See the news release.
The official ground breaking was held on May 11, 2012. See photos of the FAC Ground Breaking ceremony.
A construction proposal for the Family Aquatic Complex has been successfully submitted by Ellis Don / De Angelis. See a selection of floor plans and dynamic illustrations of the proposed facility in the summary presentation, Family Aquatic Complex Proposal Photos or see the proposal photo gallery. You can now view the site online by visiting the Family Aquatic Complex Camera.
The competitive pool area will feature:
10 lane 71m pool with two movable bulkheads
Diving boards and dive tower that can accommodate dive competitions
Therapy pool which can be used as an activity pool
The family aquatic area will feature:
- Wave pool
- Activity pool with basketball and floatable features
- Slides including a two person inner tube ride, a surfing attraction, a three person inner tube ride
- Lazy river, a four lane boy slide
- Tot pool
- Tot gang slide
- Tot open flume waterslide
- Water tipping bucket
- Numerous water play features such as bubbling jets, mini cannons, and tipping cones
Steering Committee and Executive Committee
Windsor City Council has appointed the Steering Committee:
- Mayor Eddie Francis, ex-officio
- Councillor Drew Dilkens - Chair
- Councillor Ron Jones
- Councillor Hilary Payne
- Councillor Ed Sleiman
- Councillor Fulvio Valentinis
The minutes of the Steering Committee meetings are available for review.
The Executive Committee reports to the Steering Committee. It is composed of:
- Onorio Colucci, Project Sponsor/Chair - CFO/City Treasurer
- Mario Sonego, Co-Sponsor/Deputy Chair - City Engineer
- Valerie Critchley, City Clerk
- Jan Wilson, Executive Director of Recreation & Culture
- Mike Palanacki, Executive Director of Operations
- Harry Turnbull, Executive Director of Information Technology
- John Miceli, Manager of Facility Operations
- Shelby Askin Hager, Manager of Purchasing & Risk Management
City Council Reports and Resolutions
From an in-camera meeting on November 17, 2011 and adopted by Council at his meeting held November 21, 2011 [M335-2011] the library was removed from the pool complex.
Dec. 15, 2011 CR302 Council Decision awarded EllisDon Corporation/DeAngelis Construction Inc. Joint Venture the design build contract.