Paying Your Taxes
If you have any questions regarding your taxes, please call:
- 311 if you are within city boundaries
- (519) 255-2489 if you are outside city boundaries (or if you are calling from a business phone that has not been programmed to recognize "311")
- 1-877-746-4311 for toll-free long distance
- 1-866-488-9311 for TTY
A customer service representative will be available to answer inquiries at the Finance Office however, cash-debit payments will not be accepted at the service counter.
We've made it easy and convenient for you to process your City of Windsor tax payments:
Approved Bank, Credit Union or Trust Company
- Present the original tax billing with installment stub to any approved bank, credit union or trust company in greater Windsor, on or before the installment due date shown on the tax billing.
The following preferred payment options will continue to be offered:
- Submit payment by mail to:
- Tax Collector,
City of Windsor Finance Department
P.O. Box 1607
Electronically (telephone, online banking)
Please use the 15-digit roll number that can be found on the Property Tax bill or by calling the 311 Call Centre.
Please contact your financial institution for further details with respect to telephone or online banking.
With Your Mortgage
- Pay with your mortgage: Please contact the company that holds your mortgage for details.
Pre-authorized Payment Plans
Who is eligible?
If your property tax payments are paid up to date, then you are eligible to join this Plan. All arrears must be paid in full prior to enrollment in this plan. If you have taxes owing, please contact the City (as noted above, under "Paying Your Taxes") for information on the Pre-authorized Payment Plan for Tax Arrears.
- Pay using one of two pre-authorized payment plans:
- Monthly Tax Payment Plan - Under this plan funds will be withdrawn automatically from your bank account in approximately 10 equal payments from February to November in the middle of each month.
- Due Date Tax Payment Plan - Under this plan funds will be withdrawn automatically from your bank account on the 6 regular tax installment due dates which are usually February, March, April, July, September, and November.
- To start your pre-authorized tax payment plan you must register 5 business days prior to the next withdrawal date. Important: your taxes must be up-to-date prior to registering in the plan.
- Download the Pre-Authorized Payment Plan Application (PDF).
- Changing Banking Information ? If at any time you wish to change the bank account for which your tax payments are being withdrawn, you must notify us in writing 5 business days prior to the next withdrawal date.
- Termination of Pre-Authorized Payment Plan - If at any time you are no longer responsible for the taxes on the property for which you have registered in this program (i.e. due to a sale of that property) you must notify us in writing that you wish to cancel the program 5 business days prior to the next withdrawal date.
Arrears Tax Payments
Please contact the City (as noted above, under "Paying Your Taxes") to receive specialized instructions and an application for accounts that have tax arrears.
- Arrears tax payments can be made by visiting the City of Windsor Finance Department (350 City Hall Square West, room 100) or by mailing a cheque or money order to the mailing address noted above.
- Approved Bank, Credit Union or Trust Company (see above).
- Electronically (see above).
- Drop-off boxes (see below).
Given the 1.25% per month (15% annualized), taxpayers are encouraged to seek alternate financing through options such as their financial institution. If this is not possible, please refer to the "Pre-Authorized Payment Plan For Tax Arrears" - 5-year payment plan information flyer.
Drop-off boxes are available at the following locations:
- Two Drop-Off Boxes are available at City Hall. One is located in the lobby of the Taxation & Compliance office, room 100. This is available between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. The second drop box is located in the main lobby of City Hall outside room 100 and is available from 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday to Thursday; and 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Friday.
- Customer Care Centres:
Hours of operation for the Customer Care Centres are:
- Monday to Thursday, 9:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Saturday, 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
- Closed on Statutory Holidays
*Property tax payments must be in a sealed envelope and method of payment must be by cheque or bank draft only.
Note: Certified cheque or bank draft/money order will be required if two cheques are returned N.S.F. from a banking institution. The N.S.F. charge of $40.00 will be required to be paid before any amounts are applied to the outstanding receivable (taxes or other municipal revenues).