When riding a Transit Windsor (TW) bus, secondary and post secondary students pay a reduced fare with either a smart pass or ticket.
TW Smart Pass:
- Valid identification is required to purchase.
- Your first TW smart pass is sold at the Windsor International Transit Terminal, 300 Chatham Street West, or the Transit Centre, 3700 North Service Road at Central. Subsequently, you can reload your smart pass at various locations throughout the city.
- Your photo is printed directly on your smart pass and must be used by the card holder only.
- Students have two (2) years from date of purchase to reload their smart pass. Once the two (2) years have expired, you are required to provide valid identification in order to purchase a student smart pass.
- The student TW smart pass is reloadable for two (2) years from date of purchase. After such time, a new student smart pass must be purchased providing valid student identification.
- Transit Windsor has the right to ask for acceptable student identification at any time
- A student card is not required to purchase student tickets, however, you must present your valid student card to the driver when paying your fare.
Acceptable Identification for Buying a Student Smart Pass
Beginning of a new school term:
Secondary Students: During the first two months of a new school year, you are able to purchase a smart pass with the following pieces of identification:
A copy of your current timetable with your name printed on it.
A birth certificate/passport showing you are 18 years old or younger.
Post Secondary Students: During the first two months of a new school year, you are able to purchase a smart pass with the following piece of identification, if you do not have your student card:
Your receipt showing that your tuition has been paid for the semester
A copy of your current timetable with your name printed on it
Secondary students without a student card:
Please contact the office at your school to obtain a temporary student card form. If your school is unable to provide you with a temporary student card form, you may download the temporary student card form
, print and take to your school to be validated. The form is also available at either Transit Windsor sales office. Bring the completed form to Transit Windsor, and we will provide you with a temporary student card. Fees apply.
School Board-Issued Smart Cards
The Greater Essex County District School Board, Windsor Essex Catholic District School Board, Conseil scolaire Providence and Conseil scolaire Viamonde have joined together to form the Windsor-Essex Student Transportation Services/Service de transport des élèves-Windsor-Essex (WESTS) Consortium to manage and administer student transportation in the City of Windsor and County of Essex.
Student Transportation Services, in conjunction with Transit Windsor offers a “school board-issued” smart pass to students that are approved for the “buskids” program by WESTS.
If you receive a school board-issued smart pass from your school, you must use the card in conjunction with your valid student card. If you have lost your student card, please obtain a "temporary student card" by requesting a validated temporary student card form from your school. Bring the completed form to Transit Windsor, and we will provide you with a temporary student card. Fees apply.
School board-issued smart passes can only be used on regular school days. During professional activity days, weekends, holidays and in the summer months, these passes are not valid for transportation on the city service.
If your smart pass is not used with a school-issued student card or a temporary student card, your pass may be confiscated by the driver.
For further information visit: www.buskids.ca.
3700 North Service Road East
Canada N8W 5X2
Phone: For general information, call 311. For detailed inquiries, call 519-944-4111.