Late, but Quick Conversion to Motor Buses
- Conversion from the trolley bus to motor bus began in 1938 and progressed rapidly.
- On midnight, September 22, 1934, Hydro Electric terminated its operating agreement with the SW&A Railway Company. There was little advance warning of this action. The company suddenly found itself in dire straits with few cash reserves and steadily increasing annual losses.
- Conversion of Windsor's streetcar lines to motor buses began late, but proceeded rapidly: within fourteen months the transit system had been completely motorized.
- The Erie trolley line was converted to motor bus on February 19, 1939.
- The last trolley car operated in Windsor on Saturday, May 6, 1939.
- Some of the old streetcars were sold for further service in South America.
- During 1938 and 1939, the SW&A employees were taught new skills: the streetcar mechanics learned to maintain buses, while the motormen and conductors were taught to drive them.