Theme 3: Choose to boost veggies and fruit.
Overview of Theme
This theme is about encouraging kids and families to make vegetables and fruit a part of every meal and snack. Veggies and fruit give kids the vitamins, minerals, and fibre that they need to stay healthy.
Reaching for vegetables and fruit throughout the day will help kids get at least 5 servings a day, which is the amount recommended by Canada's Food Guide.
Tips to Boost Veggie and Fruit Consumption
- Make vegetables and fruit part of every meal and snack;
- Eat a variety of colourful vegetables, including a dark green and orange vegetable every day;
- Eat the whole vegetable or fruit, skip the juice;
- Frozen and canned vegetables and fruit are healthy and convenient;
- Choose local, seasonal, frozen or canned for better affordability;
- Plan, shop and cook together as a family; or
- Start a vegetable or herb garden.