Child and Spousal Support
Skip to main content Skip to navigation Skip to footer

Pursuing Child and Spousal Support

As of February 1, 2017 it is not mandatory for individuals to pursue child support to be eligible for Ontario Works.

Any amount collected for child support is exempt income under Ontario Works and individuals will be able to keep the full amount of child support. Note: spousal support continues to be deducted.

Several community organizations are willing to assist individuals to pursue child and/or spousal support, whether it is a new claim or a change to an existing court order.

The following information will connect individuals with local organizations to provide information and support.  For general information, please see Steps to Justice

How to Proceed

Several local organizations are willing to assist individuals to pursue a new child or spousal support order, or to review an existing court order due to a change in circumstance. The first point of contact should be to one of the following organizations:

Bridging Family Conflict

Bridging Family Conflict provides free mediation and information services for family law matters in Windsor and Essex County at local courthouses, and subsidized rates for mediation outside of the courthouse.

Telephone:  519-946-0808
Website:  Bridging Family Conflict
Address:  3231 Tecumseh Road East, Windsor, ON N8W 1H2

Community Legal Aid

Community Legal Aid provides family law services related to child support and spousal support, and represents parties interested in mediation, separation agreements and matters only before the Ontario Court of Justice.

Telephone:  519-253-7150
Website:  Community Legal Aid
Address:  443 Ouellette Avenue, Windsor, Ontario  N9A 4J2

Legal Aid Ontario

Legal Aid Ontario promotes access to justice throughout Ontario for low-income individuals by providing consistent, high quality legal aid services in a cost-effective and efficient manner.

Telephone:  1-800-668-8258
Website:  Legal Aid Ontario
Address:  185 City Hall Square South, Windsor, Ontario  N9A 6W5

Court Order Not in Pay

If a court order is not in pay, the Family Responsibility Office (FRO) will collect, distribute and enforce court-ordered child and spousal support payments.

Telephone: 1-800-267-7263
Website: Family Responsibility Office

In Windsor, call 311 for general information, call 311.  For detailed inquiries, call Mike Colby 519-255-5200 ext. 5310.
Fax:  519-255-1011 or 519-255-1503

In Leamington, call 519-946-9988.
Fax:  519-322-3529 or toll free at 1-866-763-1222

Drop off at Customer Care Centres:

Required documents or letters can be dropped off at any of the Customer Care Centres located in the various wards of the city.  Please visit our Customer Care Centres page for a listing of participating locations and hours of operation.