Mandate of the PHEDSC dealing with Heritage Matters
The Committee's mandate is to advise City Council on "the identification, recognition, protection, enhancement and proper management of heritage resources" in the City of Windsor:
- Identification - is accomplished through the development and maintenance of the Windsor Municipal Heritage Register and the Archaeological Master Plan. Research is ongoing, and photographic and other records are kept by the City's Heritage Planner.
- Recognition - is accomplished through Council's designation of properties under the terms of the Ontario Heritage Act, Parts IV and V, the commemorating heritage resources with plaques and signs, and the presentation at City Council of annual "Built Heritage Awards".
- Protection - is accomplished by Council's utilization of the alteration/demolition approval procedures outlined in the Ontario Heritage Act, the requirement of heritage easements when making restoration grants, and encouragement of adaptive reuse of heritage resources.
- Enhancement - is accomplished through the provision of financial assistance for the restoration of heritage resources from the "Heritage Property Tax Reduction Program", the "Community Heritage Fund" and the "Built Heritage Fund," the restoration of City-owned heritage resources, and the insistence that any municipal undertakings and programs promote our built heritage.
- Proper Management - is accomplished by the maintenance and protection of municipally owned heritage resources, by the utilization of the development approval process to facilitate heritage conservation, and by the encouragement of public participation in the conservation of heritage resources.
For general information, call 311. For detailed inquiries, contact us at:
Planning & Building Services Department
Suite 404, 400 City Hall Square East
Windsor, Ontario, Canada N9A 7K6
Phone: (519) 255-6543
Fax: (519) 255-6544