Rent and Utilities Assistance

The City of Windsor has developed the Housing Stability Plan (HSP) to help prevent homelessness. HSP offers assistance for the payment of rent and utilities for qualified residents in Windsor and Essex County. HSP is funded through the province’s Homelessness Prevention Program (HPP) which has two key program outcomes:

  1. People experiencing homelessness obtain and retain housing; and
  2. People at risk of becoming homeless to remain housed.

Rental Assistance

The City of Windsor is committed to preventing homelessness and, in response to these changes, has developed the Housing Stability Plan (HSP).

Assistance may be provided to qualified applicants to pay rental arrears in order to avoid eviction or to pay for first or last month’s rent in order to secure affordable housing.

Eligibility Criteria

  • Resident of Windsor/Essex County;
  • In receipt of Ontario Works (OW) or Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP), or meet low income criteria set by the Ministry;
  • Have not received HSP assistance in the past 2 years;
  • Have housing costs that are affordable and sustainable;
  • Are in rental arrears which do not exceed two (2) months;
  • Are in immediate danger of losing their home due to unpaid rent (eviction);
  • Have resided at the address for a minimum of one (1) year; and
  • Have a documented need to relocate (e.g. victim of violence, uninhabitable premises, recently discharged from an institution).

How to Apply for Rental Assistance:

  • If in receipt of Ontario Works (OW) or Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP), contact your caseworker.
  • If you do not receive OW or ODSP, call the HSP Referral Line at 519-255-5200 ext. 5294.

Keep the Heat:

Keep the Heat is an emergency assistance program that provides funding for heat and energy for those who are experiencing financial difficulties and are in receipt of a notice of termination of heating utilities. In addition, this program offers workshops to educate consumers on how to conserve and better use energy within their household.

How to Apply for Keep the Heat:

Windsor Application Sites:

  • Can-Am Urban Native Homes Windsor Inc.
    180 Tecumseh Road East
  • Housing Information Services
    3450 Ypres Avenue, Suite 200
  • Unemployed Help Centre
    6955 Cantelon Drive

County Application Sites:

  • Amherstburg Community Services
    179 Victoria Street South, Amherstburg, 519-736-5471
  • Community Support Centre of Essex County (servicing Lakeshore, Essex, Tecumseh)
    499 Notre Dame Street, Belle River, 519-728-1435
  • South Essex Community Council
    215 Talbot Street East, Leamington or
  • 313 Main Street, Unit 21, Kingsville, 519-326-8629

Phone: For general information call 311. For detailed inquiries call 519-255-5200 ext. 5294.
Fax: 519-256-7107