Rent and Utility Related Assistance
The province has established two key program outcomes for the Community Homelessness Prevention Initiative (CHPI), which will measure performance and ensure accountability:
People experiencing homelessness obtain and retain housing; and
People at risk of becoming homeless to remain housed.
Housing Stability Plan
The City of Windsor is committed to preventing homelessness and, in response to these changes, has developed the Housing Stability Plan (HSP).
Assistance may be provided with rental arrears to avoid eviction.
- Resident of Windsor/Essex County;
- In receipt of Ontario Works (OW) or Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP), or meet low income criteria set by the Ministry;
- Have not received HSP assistance in the past 2 years;
- Have housing costs that are affordable and sustainable;
- Are in rental arrears which do not exceed two (2) months;
- Are in immediate danger of losing their home due to unpaid rent (eviction);
- Have resided at the address for a minimum of one (1) year; and
- Have a documented need to relocate (e.g. victim of violence, uninhabitable premises, recently discharged from an institution).
Additional Supports - Shelter Enhancements:
- Assistance may be provided to purchase essential household items when establishing a new residence. Recipients may be eligible for additional funding to assist with a fridge, stove and bed(s).
Individuals in receipt of OW or ODSP, please contact your caseworker to see if you are eligible for this assistance.
Individuals living in Low Income, please contact our Housing and Children's Services division at 519 255-5200 ext. 5294 (Monday through Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm) for an application.
Energy Related Programs
Keep the Heat:
Keep the Heat is an emergency assistance program that provides funding for heat and energy for those who are experiencing financial difficulties and are in receipt of a notice of termination of heating utilities.
In addition, this program offers workshops to educate consumers on how to conserve and better use energy within their household.
Windsor Application Sites:
- Can-Am Urban Native Homes Windsor Inc.
180 Tecumseh Road East
- Housing Information Services
3450 Ypres Avenue, Suite 200
- Unemployed Help Centre
6955 Cantelon Drive
County Application Sites:
- Amherstburg Community Services
- Community Support Centre of Essex County (servicing Lakeshore, Essex, Tecumseh)
- South Essex Community Council
For more information, see the Keep the Heat entry in the Windsor-Essex CIOC Database.
Phone: For general information call 311. For detailed inquiries call 519 255-5200 ext. 5294.
Fax: 519 256-7107