Coronavirus (COVID-19) Frequently Asked Questions
Skip to main content Skip to navigation Skip to footer

​COVID-19 Frequently Asked Questions

General information

Where can I get the most up-to-date health information about COVID-19?

Who should I contact if I have questions about COVID-19 and testing?

  • The majority of COVID-19 illnesses are mild. A clinician can help guide whether you will require further care or potential testing in person. Please use one of the following options:
    • Contact your primary care provider (for example, family doctor). Let them know that you have used this self-assessment tool​.
    • Contact Telehealth Ontario at 1-866-797-0000 and speak with a registered nurse. Let them know that you have used the self-assessment tool.

What's happening with the Provincial Offences (POA) Courts?

  • Please note that in order to contain the spread of the COVID-19 virus, The Chief Justice of Ontario has decided to cancel POA court dates between now and May 29, 2020 will be rescheduled, read below for further details. Due to reduced services protocol in light of the COVID-19 pandemic, City Hall is closed to visitors until at least April 5 2020, and this includes Provincial Offences (POA) in-person services.
  • If you have a court date between now and May 29:
    •   Please do not attend court
    •  Your court date will be adjourned and rescheduled for a future date yet to be determined.  You will be notified of your next court appearance.
  • ​If you are looking to make a payment:
    • We can take credit card payments by phone or online via, we also process mail payments. Please visit our POA web page for more details.
  • ​For Court Questions or Applications:
    • ​You can call the general line at: 519-255-6555 or you can email
    • As you can imagine, we are experiencing an influx of calls and are tasked with rescheduling a multitude of court matters all at once.  Our staff are working diligently to respond as quickly as possible, and we thank you for your patience during this time.
As you can imagine, we are experiencing an influx of calls and are tasked with rescheduling a multitude of court matters all at once. Our staff are working diligently to respond as quickly as possible, and we thank you for your patience during this time.​

Will the Ward 7 By-Election still take place?

  • In light of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and the rapid rate at which the situation is changing, City Clerk Valerie Critchley has declared an emergency under section 53 of the Municipal Elections Act, thereby postponing the Ward 7 by-election that was scheduled to take place on April 27, 2020.  It should be noted, this is not an emergency declaration for the municipality under The Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act.
  • For further details, please click this link to view the official news release.

What is happening with eviction orders?

Please note: Landlord/tenant relations are not governed by the City of Windsor, but the Province of Ontario offers the information below. For the latest updates, please check the Landlord and Tenant Board website.

  • In response to the evolving COVID-19 public health situation, no new eviction orders will be issued until further notice and sheriff's offices will postpone any scheduled enforcement of current eviction orders.
  • The Landlord and Tenant Board (LTB) has reviewed the appropriate approach to conducting hearings and until further notice the LTB is suspending:
    • All hearings related to eviction applications, unless the matter relates to an urgent issue such as an illegal act or serious impairment of safety; and
    • The issuance of eviction orders, unless the matter relates to an urgent issue such as an illegal act or serious impairment of safety.
  • Hearings related to eviction applications will not be scheduled at this time.​
  • Tenants must continue to pay rent while an eviction order is not being enforced.

Planning, Response and City Services

What are the changes to Transit Windsor's services?

  • Mayor Drew Dilkens has announced the temporary suspension of Transit Windsor services. This will take effect at the end of normal operating hours on Sunday, March 29, 2020 until at least Monday, April 13, 2020.
  • Windsor-Detroit Tunnel Bus has suspended operations as of March 19 until further notice.
  • The Windsor International Transit Terminal (300 Chatham Street West) and the Transit Centre (3700 North Service Road East) are both closed.

Visit the Transit Windsor updates updates page for further details.

Are City facilities closed?

  • All City of Windsor public facilities of a recreation nature (arenas, pools, museums, libraries and community centres) are closed. This change will remain in effect at least until Monday, April 6, consistent with Ontario Ministry of Education’s school closures. 

Will refunds be provided for memberships and programming?

  • Windsor Aquatic Windsor International Aquatic and Training Centre
    • Adventure Bay March Break memberships will be fully refunded.
    • Fitness centre and aquatic memberships will either be credited for time lost via a membership extension or participants can receive a pro-rated refund/credit on account if they prefer to have their membership cancelled at this time. Membership extensions will be applied once we know when we are re-opening.
    • Guests who bought Splash Passes online with the intent to use them during March Break can receive a full refund – otherwise they do not expire as there is no specific date of use attached to them and they can use them in the future.
  • Community Centres
    • Programs/Rentals Scheduled Between Now And April 6:
      As a result of the facility closures, all programs, camps, classes, and/or events have been cancelled. The City of Windsor will provide you with a full refund or a credit on your account, whichever you would prefer. We appreciate your patience, as staff will be contacting program registrants and rental groups directly to discuss credit and refund options. If you have any immediate concerns or questions, please contact the facility directly.
    • Programs/Rentals After April 6:
      City officials will continue to consult with the health unit and work to determine when these City of Windsor facilities will be able to reopen.  Unfortunately, at this time, we cannot confirm this date as based on health unit information between now and April 6, this closure could be extended. Please contact the facility at which you have a booking/program for further details.
    • Memberships:
      Customers with previously purchased memberships will be provided a prorated refund for the time remaining or an extension for the time we are closed, whichever the customer prefers. Please contact the facility for further details.
    • Weddings:
      Unfortunately, due to the current closures, weddings between now and April 6 are being cancelled. Full refunds for any payment given to the City of Windsor will be provided. Previously booked weddings occurring at City of Windsor facilities between April 6 and May 30 should be aware that further cancellations might be required as the City of Windsor will be following all future advice of Ontario’s Chief Medical Officer of Health. Please contact the host facility for further information.
  • For a complete list of facilities and contact information, visit Facilities for Rent.

Are City parks still open?

Effective immediately the Province of Ontario has issued a new emergency order under the Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act to close all outdoor recreational amenities.

All park amenities are now closed by order of the Province of Ontario. Trails and green spaces remain open for walk-through purposes, but please observe social distancing. See full list of what is closed and what remains open in parks.

Is parking still being enforced?

  • In an effort to help small businesses, parking enforcement has been relaxed at on-street meters, but designated accessible spaces still require proper permits.
  • Enforcement continues in parking lots, and emergency access must always be maintained.
  • Complaints and abuse of time at meters will continue to be investigated and enforced.  This means that you can not exceed the meter's maximum and park all day. Your vehicle will be marked, and ticketed if found to be abusing the time frames.
  • Plazas that remain open will be heavily enforced to keep accessible spots and emergency routes clear for those who need them.
  • All other residential parking restrictions will still be enforced at this time for safety and operational reasons. Follow the street signage in your area.

Is garbage and recycle still being collected?

  • While garbage and recycling collection are continuing as normal, we would ask that residents keep 6 feet away from collectors. Also, all garbage related by-laws still apply, i.e. must be in acceptable containers, can not be overflowing, must be under 44lbs, etc. Full details can be found on our Waste and Recycling page.
  • Solid Waste drop-off will be closed to the public with exception for commercial customers.

Is there any way to access libraries?

Can I still obtain a marriage licence?

  • City Hall will suspend issuing Marriage Licences and performing Civil Ceremonies

What City services can I access online?

  • The following online services can be found on the City of Windsor’s website by clicking this link: E-Services.

    • 311 Online - Complete a service request online for many city services.
    • ACTIVE Windsor - Info and registration for recreation and culture programs, rentals and memberships.
    • BizPaL - Everything you need to start a new business or renew existing permits and licences.
    • Building Permits - Apply for building permits and view their status.
    • Child Care Subsidy - Child care fee assistance for eligible families with children birth to 12 years old.
    • Council/Meeting Delegation - Submit delegation request for City Council and Standing Committee Meetings.
    • Dog Licence - Obtain or renew your annual dog licence.
    • Emergency Utility Cut Permits - Cut Permits Utility Companies Only.
    • My Property Tax - View your property tax account, make requests and provide updates.
    • Ontario Works Application - Apply for Ontario Works.
    • Open Data Catalog - Use municipal data to create and share resources from maps to apps and more.
    • Public Property Inquiry - View assessments, associated permits and violations.
    • Ticket Payment - Pay City of Windsor parking tickets and Provincial Offences Act (POA) tickets.

Are City Council and Committee Meetings still taking place?

  • The City Council meeting originally scheduled for Monday, April 6, 2020 has been cancelled.
  • The City Council Meeting originally scheduled for March 23, 2020 will be rescheduled.
  • Some committee meetings will be​ rescheduled:
    • Property Standards Committee (originally scheduled for March 17, 2020)
    • Town and Gown Committee (originally scheduled for March 24, 2020)
    • Environment, Transportation and Public Safety Standing Committee Meeting (originally scheduled for March 25, 2020)
    • Corporate Services Standing Committee Meeting (originally scheduled for March 30, 2020)
    • Windsor Accessibility Advisory Committee (originally scheduled for March 31, 2020)
    • Community Services and Parks Standing Committee Meeting (originally scheduled for April 1, 2020)
    • Committee of Adjustment Hearings:
      • Make-up date previously scheduled for April 16 to address agenda items from March 19 and April 2 has been cancelled, and a video-conference meeting has been tentatively scheduled for Thursday, April 30 in its place.

Are the Windsor Endowment for the Arts (WEA) and Mayor’s Arts Awards proceeding?


What precautions can I take to protect from COVID-19?

  • The precautions to protect yourself against COVID-19 are the same as those used to protect against common respiratory illnesses, such as the flu. There is currently no vaccine to prevent COVID-19.
  • Members of the public are advised to take the usual measures to reduce the risk of transmission of respiratory illness, which include:
    • Wash your hands often with soap and water or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
    • Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
    • Avoid close contact with people who are ill.
    • Stay home when you are ill.
    • Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then immediately throw the tissue in the garbage and wash your hands. If you don’t have a tissue, sneeze or cough into your sleeve or arm.
    • Clean and disinfect objects and surfaces that are frequently touched.
    • At this point in time, there is no need to wear any mask unless you are symptomatic or taking care of a suspect case of COVID-19. It is recommended that you follow usual health precautions above and follow the instructions provided by health care facilities.

What do I do if I or someone I know has to self isolate?

The Government of Canada and Public Health Ontario offer the following helpful resources for situations where self isolation is required:

How do you properly wash your hands?

  • Wash your hands often with soap and water.
  • To get properly germ-free hands, you need to lather them up with soap, and scrub for at least 20 seconds (about the time it takes to sing "Happy Birthday" twice) under clean, running water.
  • Ensure to rub the front and back of your hands, and between fingers.
  • Dry your hands properly, preferably with paper towel.
  • Use alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available.

Taxation FAQ

Will the City continue to expect that my 2020 Interim Tax bill be paid? 

  • In response to recent events stemming from the COVID-19 pandemic, the City of Windsor is introducing the following measures to assist property owners with the financial burden as it relates to property taxes:
    • The third instalment for the 2020 Interim Property Taxes has been changed from April 15, 2020 to June 30, 2020.
    • All remaining pre-authorized payment withdrawals scheduled in the months of April, May and June will continue to be taken on the scheduled dates unless otherwise cancelled/adjusted by the property owner (see link to media release below).
    • All remaining postdated cheques for the April 15, 2020 instalment will be cashed on the scheduled dates unless cancelled by the property owner (see link to media release below).
    • Charges for Non-Sufficient Funds related to property tax payments will be waived through the period ending June 30, 2020.
    • There will be no late payment charges in either form, penalty and/or interest, through the period ending June 30, 2020.
    • To request changes to a Pre-authorized payment or to request the return of a post- dated cheque, email

Additional details can be found in the media release on our website.

How can I pay my property taxes without attending City Hall or my financial institution?

  • Property tax payment can be made using these alterative methods:
    • On-line via internet or telephone banking. Set up the City of Windsor as a bill payment using the Roll Number as the account number (15 digits that follow 37-39).
    • One of three pre-authorized payment plans. Forms can be found on our Paying Your Taxes page and can be submitted electronically to or faxed 519-255-7310.

How can I get information about my property taxes?

  • 311 is able to answer general property tax enquiries and will create a service request if a more detailed response is required. Information including the following can also be found using the MyProperty Tax e-service. Registration is required.
  • You can access your account by clicking Sign In or Registration if you do not have an account.
  • Services include:
    • Review history of tax account
    • Enrol in pre-authorized payment plan
    • Request information or submit changes

What if I am selling or purchasing a property?

  • Your lawyer should be advising our office at the time that the transaction has closed. Documents can be e-mailed to or faxed 519-255-7310. Changes to ownership will be made as time permits.

How can I register for, change or cancel my pre-authorized payment plan?

What if I have made an overpayment or am expecting a refund?

  • Generally, any amounts that result in a credit to your property tax are retained on your account to offset future taxes. Should you require a refund, a request in writing must be made and e-mailed to Refunds will be processed on an as needed basis.