Waste Reduction & Elimination: Recycling
Please Recycle - By recycling in your home, you have the power to reduce your garbage by as much as 25 percent.
- Recycle these materials only: See our Recycling Guide Brochure.
- If you are holding a special event and would like to provide recycling at your event, please contact Essex Windsor Solid Waste Authority at 519-776-6441 ext. 1395 or 1-800-563-3377 to arrange for this free service or download the Special Event Requisition Form and fax it to 519-776-6370. Website: www.ewswa.org
- Food & beverage cans - rinse and flatten
- Glass jars and bottles - Lids must be removed and recycle metal lids as well.
- Plastic bottles and jugs - rinse and flatten. Remove plastic caps and recycle caps as well
- Plastic tubs and lids - Includes margarine, sour cream, yogurt, ice cream, spreads and dips. Lids must be removed and recycle lid as well.
- Aluminum foil (loose sheets), aluminum trays, pie plates. Plates & trays flatten, foil-roll into a ball.
- Polycoat beverage cartons and Tetra Paks - Milk, juice, creamer cartons, juice boxes, broth cartons, soup cartons, etc. Rinse, flatten and place loose in the Blue Box.
- Clamshells, trays and cups - Clear plastic containers, trays, clamshells, cups, plastic (fruit) baskets, etc. Rinse, flatten and place loose in the Blue Box.
- Empty paint and aerosol cans - All cans must be empty. Remove metal lids and place cans loose in the Blue Box. Remove & discard plastic lids. No plastic cans.
- Newspapers, magazines, catalogues and phone books - bundle or place in paper bags beside your Red Box
- Cardboard and boxboard - flatten and tie into 30"x30"x8" bundles
- Cardboard (large quantities). If you have just moved in or have a large amount of cardboard, call us at (519) 974-1010 to arrange for a special collection.
- Junk mail, phone books, writing and computer paper, envelopes - place in paper bags beside your Red Box
- Reduce Your Junk Mail -You can reduce your unsolicited address mail by registering to the Canadian Direct Marketing Association, www.the-cma.org/consumers/do-not-contact.
- Please help increase collection efficiency and reduce costs:
- Put recyclables in a common location with your neighbour.
- Keep all materials away from parked cars.
- Bring excess material to the Public Drop Off Depot (North Service Road East and Central).
- Separate your recyclables at home. Containers only in your Blue Box and paper only in your red box.
- Remember - It's your Red & Blue Boxes that signal the collection driver to stop. Place your Recycle Boxes in a visible location at the curb.
- Treat your work place like your home-recycle!
Public Works, Environmental Division
3540 North Service Road East
Phone: For general information, call 311. For detailed inquiries, call 519-974-1010