Parks and Recreation Department
2450 McDougall Street
Windsor, Ontario N8X 3N6
Phone: (519) 253-2300
- Inclement weather may close fields: Follow us on Twitter for the latest updates on field status during or after wet weather.
- The City of Windsor makes a decision in the early afternoon about the status based on the current condition of the benchmark fields and expected impending weather conditions.
Rent Our Fields
For more information on specific complexes, sport fields, and rental opportunities visit the Facilities tab of www.activewindsor.ca. To book a complex, field, or facility call (519) 253-2300.
Why We Close Fields
The goal is to keep our sports field in optimal and safe condition for all users.
Parks and Recreation reserves the right to cancel the use of all sports fields due to inclement weather conditions. We request your co-operation by not using fields unsuitable for play. This may include:
- Water pooling on a playing field;
- Wet/muddy field conditions;
- Weather forecasts: the presence of an electrical storm constitutes an immediate closure of the field. We ask for the cooperation of the officials and coaches in order to ensure the safety of the players and spectators. A 30-minute mandatory delay of play is required after lightning is seen. Stadium facilities will be locked and lights turned off.
Please do not attempt to drain fields or remove pooled water on your own. More often than not, considerable damage is done to the playing field rendering it unusable for others.
League convenors, or designates are asked to continually use discretion when playing on potentially wet fields. Causing damage to the fields could result in field closures for extended periods of time and a charge to the individual or group responsible for causing the damage.
Background on City Sport Fields
The City of Windsor has a variety of complexes and sport fields available from baseball and soccer stadiums to open fields. Many of these facilities are high quality and are available for league and tournament bookings. As well, the City offers many open fields for family fun or casual pick up games. These facilities include:
- Baseball/softball diamonds
- Tennis courts
- Cricket grounds
- Cross country running trails
- Mountain bike trails (facilities for racing)
- Rugby/football fields
- Soccer pitches
- Stadium (soccer, football, baseball)
- Ultimate Frisbee
Remember to book your permit early and in advance.