Tuck Shop Volunteer
- Auxiliary President
- Director of Resident Services
- Volunteer Coordinator
- Entertainment & Activities Coordinator
Purpose of Position
- To assist in the operation of the Huron Lodge Tuck Shop
- Open and close the tuck shop
- Sell stock
- Keep track of the inventory and record when new stock is needed
- Hand in money envelope and keys to office
- Socialize with residents
- Follow all current Huron Lodge rules, policies and procedures
- Interest in working with the residents
- Understanding of the problems of the residents, whether they are seniors or handicapped
- Good listening skills
- Ability to follow directions and work with others
- Willingness and availability to give a firm commitment of time for working in the Tuck Shop
- Ability to work with the elderly, their families, and other volunteer staff
Tuck Shop Volunteer:
Michael Lacroix: Michael has worked as a Huron Lodge volunteer for about six years, and started volunteering at the tuck shop because it "was never open," so he decided to take matters into his own hands. Michael says that the tuck shop is important, because people need a gathering spot where they can sit around and talk. He also says that he has "met a lot of cool people" here.
Michael thinks highly of Huron Lodge. "I've found the level of caring to exceed what I thought a level of care would be in a nursing home." When Michael's mother first came here, he says that three quarters of the staff knew her name by the time the first week was over. Many of the residents have too few visitors, so the effort on behalf of the staff to learn the names of the residents helps compensate for that.
We would like to thank Michael and the rest of the tuck shop volunteers for providing a valuable service to our residents!
If you have any questions about volunteering, please contact one of the following staff members:
1881 Cabana Road West
Phone: For general information, call 311. For detailed inquiries, call Mary Carroll (519) 253-6060 ext. 8276.
Fax: (519) 977-8027