French Settlement on the South Shore
Windsor is the oldest known site of continuous settlement in Ontario. The government of New France, anxious to increase its presence on the Detroit River, offered land for agricultural settlement on the south shore in 1749.
That summer, families from the lower St. Lawrence River relocated to lots which began about 6.5km downstream from here. Along with civilians and discharged soldiers from Fort Pontchartrain Detroit they formed the community of La Petite Cote. Additional waterfront lots, including this site, were laid out in 1751. These were extended from the Huron Mission, located in the vicinity of the present Ambassador bridge, to the Ottawa Village situated opposite the fort. When the French regime ended in 1760, about 300 settlers were living there.
Ontario Heritage Foundation, Ministry of Culture and Communications.