The Planning Department consists of three main services: Planning Policy, Urban Design and Community Development, and Development Applications. Click on the words "Planning Policy", "Urban Design and Community Development" or "Development Applications" to be redirected to those sections of the website.
- Maintains and updates the City's Official Plan, and determines if development applications are in compliance with the Official Plan
- Implements changes to By-law 8600 in response to changes in land use policy, new construction practices, market trends, etc.
- Forecasts population and employment growth, housing needs and land requirements
- Participates in multi-disciplinary studies dealing with major transportation, housing, infrastructure and environmental issues that affect Windsor and the region
- Prepares special planning studies for areas experiencing transition or development pressures
- Monitors and updates the Community Strategic Plan and Action Plan
- Leads the Community Improvement Planning process
- Develops and implements urban design policies, guidelines and standards, protecting and promoting the civic image of the community through various forms of communication
- Maintains the City Centre Revitalization initiative
- Assists Business Improvement Areas (BIA) and other community organizations partnering in civic design, economic development and community development initiatives
- Administer the following Committees:
- Planning Advisory Committee
- Committee of Adjustment
- Formulate recommendations on development/planning applications including land rezoning, subdivisions, condominiums, Official Plan Amendments, part lot control, removal of holding prefix, street and alley, street naming and numbering, minor variances, consents, validation of title, street/alley closings, zoning reviews, and amendments to the sign by-law.
- Provide advice and mandatory pre-consultations on development applications
- Coordinate public consultation and pre-consultations on development applications
- Provide drafting support to the entire section
- Process zoning inquires
- Maintain zoning by-law amendments
- Provide input into corporate studies and projects (e.g. 5-Year Official Plan Review, Environmental Assessments,
- Community Improvement Plans, Neighbourhood Integrated Service Team program)
- Implement Community Improvement Plans (CIP)
- Provide professional testimony at OMB Hearings
- Liaise with development industry and public
For more information see the Planning Department webpages.