Urban Design & Community Development
A memorable, attractive and livable city is one where people feel comfortable and are inspired by their surroundings. In order for Windsor to be such a city, the City's Official Plan sets goals, objectives and policies that reflect these aspirations.
Official Plan goals for urban design in the City of Windsor are to:
- Enhance the image of Windsor as an attractive and livable city;
- Create balance between human activities and natural system;
- Achieve a complementary design relationship between new and existing development, while accommodating evolving urban design styles;
- Create an attractive network of public spaces, streetscapes, and significant visual attraction points;
- Encourage designs that maintain a sense of personal safety and reduce the opportunity of crime.
Implementation of the City's Urban Design policies is realized through a number of avenues such as Site Plan Control, Secondary Plans, Support Studies, Zoning, Subdivision and Condominium Approval, Committee of Adjustment, Business Improvement Area Designation, Land Stewardship, Jurisdictional Coordination, Public Participation, and ongoing monitoring and review.
For general information, please call 311. For detailed inquiries, contact the following:
Suite 404B, 400 City Hall Square East
Phone: (519) 255-6543
Fax: (519) 255-6544