Frank L. Mallory Optimist-Memorial Park provides more than 50 acres of parkland. Originally named Senator Kennedy Park, Memorial Park was first established in 1925. The site boasts a magnificent stand of mature oak trees, as well as soft maple, white ash, walnut, red cedar, spruce, pine, basswood, wild cherry, witch hazel, thorn apple, elm, hickory, silver maple, and wild crab apple.
Optimist Park was developed as an extension of Memorial Park in 1949. In 1974, the Optimist Community Centre was officially opened, and it quickly established itself as an integral part of both the South Walkerville community and the Memorial-Optimist Park Complex.
Optimist Dog Park has separate parks to accommodate both large and small dogs.
Dog Park Rules:
- Open during daylight hours only.
- Up to 3 dogs per adult per visit.
- Dogs must be over 4 months old to enter park.
- Shots must be up to date (rabies, distemper, parvovirus).
- Collar and current tags required.
- Off-leash within fenced area; on-leash everywhere else.
- Keep leash in hand while in park.
- Stay inside fence with your dog(s) and monitor behaviour at all times.
- Dogs must be leashed and removed from park at first sign of aggression.
- Owners are responsible and liable for damage or injury caused by their dogs.
- Owners must clean up after their dogs. Waste bags are provided.
- Female dogs in heat are prohibited.
- Honour other patrons' requests regarding their dogs.
- Keep park gates closed at all times.
- Park may be closed for maintenance without prior notice.
- Dogs must be under control of an adult 18 years or older.
- Children under the age of 18 must be under strict adult supervision at all times.
- Children under 6 years are discouraged from using the park but must be within arm's length of parent/guardian if they are brought in.
- Optimist Community Centre
- Naturalized Park
- Picnic Shelter
- Neighbourhood Soccer Field
- Off-Leash Dog Park